Today I experienced something that has not been an issue for a very long time. When I got home from my first run in freezing temps (seriously, it was 30 degrees when I headed out), my legs starting to feel really weird and itchy, and then they got super hot in a couple places. I rubbed them trying to help the circulation, but that just brought the hives even faster. Yes, you heard me right- hives.
Back in high school my family had a dog and I would take him on long walks (in the cool spring weather) after school. Well, just about every time, I would end up with red, itchy legs, and huge welts. This is why, in my later years, I was very fond of the indoor treadmill workouts- no hives!
For various reasons, last year I decided I wanted to run, and since I no longer have a gym membership, my only option was to run outside. But fortunately, I didn't have the crazy reactions that I had in the past. Until today.
It wasn't too horrible, and didn't last very long, but I think I definitely need to get some cold weather running pants/tights to go with my tops. So if anyone wants to donate to the cause, feel free. Otherwise, I may have to beg/steal/borrow in order to make it through my Saturday morning long runs in comfort.
However, all hives aside, the run itself was actually pretty good (although a bit slower than I would have liked). It was c-c-c-cold starting out, but eventually I was warm enough, and hit my goal of 6 miles. I set the goal beforehand and was determined to make it. I headed out a little after 7:00, so the sun wasn't even up over the mountains until the last 5 minutes of my hour-long run, but it was plenty light, and it was beautiful. And I really didn't have any knee or calf pain either.
Originally I aimed low and set a goal of 25 miles for the month of Nov, but considering this morning's run put me at 23.67, and I will get 3.1 at my 5k on Turkey Day, I decided to bump it up to 40. So I think I am finally back on track (with running anyway). It feels really good not to have to limit myself anymore, and to be able to push myself. In fact, the friend that I ran the 10k with (on 9/6) and her husband are wanting to do a marathon at some point, and they asked me if I would like to do it with them. I said sure, depending on the pregnancy thing, which is totally cool, since she's trying to get preggo, too. So I'm pretty excited about that. We don't have a particular race in mind yet, and we may not commit to anything right away (due to said pregnancy attempting), but it's cool to know that I may not have to run my first marathon "alone".
By the way, I tried to take a picture of my legs to show you the hives, but it just wasn't working. With the lighting and everything, you couldn't really tell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Aww poor thing! I have no remedies for hives, but I certainly send sympathies.
That is so crazy...I have not heard of that. I feel for ya, it could not be fun to have those breakouts.
A marathon in your future sounds fantastic!! Maybe you just have the ol' "marathon itch"...bad joke I know :-)
You'll have to look into some cold weather gear for your legs. Great job on all the runs this week. Glad to hear you are feeling good on them.
Oh man, that stinks!!! Hope you are feeling better! When are you starting to try :) That's fun! And it will be great to have someone to do a marathon with - yay!!
check out roadrunnersports.com. I'm addicted to that site!
Awesome job with the running! I'm so sorry to hear about your legs, i hope they go away. When its hot out, i break out in rashes all over my body, but maybe it also has to do with the fact that im in a pool all day twice a week at work... it sounds nice, but its really not.
I have read this has something to do with body temp adjustment, and capillaries expanding...have you googled? It's very common in winter. Some people on RunningAhead say they have to be completely warmed up when they head outside for their run.
Anyway, at least you got the run in! :-)
SO CRAZY.
just drape your lovely flowing locks over the hives and no one will notice!
Miz.
I get really splotchy in the winter... like when I come inside and take my coat off, I have splotches on my chest. Does that mean I'm allergic to winter too???
Wow....hives from running in the cold? Bizarre! I only get hives when I'm around my mother-in-law! ;) lol.... (quite seriously, unfortunately!)
Yikes on the hives! Yes, get some long running pants...you can pick up some nice but inexpensive ones at sports stores or even Target!
I am glad you had a great 6 miles and good luck on reaching 40 miles this month!
Yipes. I can completely related as I get a case of the itchies when it turns cold outside. It is the worst!
Hi -- I can appreciate what happened to you because I get hives like crazy. I take that back: I used to get them much worse than I do now. For me, variations in temp is what brings them on -- high temps, low temps. Also, nerves (when body temp goes way up). For me, my body can't quickly adjust to going from warm to cold to warm, etc. so it fails to regulate itself and I end up with hives or, worse, migraines.
This might sound odd but try easing yourself into the cold by cooling your body temp inside, if possible, before going out in the cold. Then, warm up slowly before getting really into your workout.
Good luck!
Post a Comment