Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Worst Air in the Country

Yep, you read that right. Currently, the Salt Lake City/Wasatch front area has the worst air quality in the entire country. That means worse than L.A., worse than Atlanta, worse than Houston. The worst! So much so, that they are encouraging people to carpool and use public transportation, and also not to exercise outside. We are stuck in a disgusting, nasty inversion, and my lungs are rebelling. I have a total smoker's hack. Ugh. Therefore, I have not run since my race last Saturday. But I can't blame the air 100%. Part if it is wanting to let my body recover, and part is because I've been busy since we got back into town.

I don't remember everything that I did Tuesday night, but I vaguely remember making dinner, and I watched some TV with the Hubs (he did not have his game night, and therefore I didn't watch Biggest Loser- tonight's the night, though). I was going to try an elliptical workout inside, but I just couldn't muster up enough energy. Yesterday was a total crazy day. It was the Region 1 Drill Team competition (my sister is a senior this year), so I drove straight home after work, where my grandma was waiting for me, then we drove clear up north to the boonies to the host high school. We waited in line, then they finally opened the doors, and then we had to sit and just wait in the bleachers for an hour until it started. There were 8 schools and each team did 3 dances, plus there were "exhibition" performances in between so the judges could take a break (they were the cheerleaders or dance companies of the participating schools).

I decided to wait until the very end to be there when they announced the awards. They give 1st through 5th place for each dance category, and the overall top 5 teams get to compete at the state competition next week. I knew my sister's team had done really well, and figured they would place in the top 2. However, when they announced the winners in the first dance, the one where I thought their competition was a little stronger, they won first place! Whoah! They also took first place in their other two dances, and therefore received first place overall. It was very exciting- especially since my sister is a co-captain and she choreographed one of the dances. I tried to get a picture of her holding the 1st place plaque, but she was being a brat and wouldn't let me take it. So no picture. But I am taking off work next Friday to go to the state competition. Should be more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Okay, I got a little off track there. What I was getting to, was that I stopped at home for 5 minutes after work, then was gone all night until 10:30 (I ate concession stand pizza and a PowerBar for dinner- yummmm). The Hubs was asleep when I got home, because we were leaving for the airport this morning at 5:10 for his 6:10 flight. We planned to wake up at 4:45 a.m. but the doorbell rang at 4:30. Who the hell rings the doorbell at 4:30 a.m.?! Well, apparently my father-in-law was hitching a ride with us to the airport, and he showed up a bit early. He overestimated the traffic and travel time from Provo (which is a long way from our house). So we drove to the airport this morning, then I went home and went back to sleep for about an hour. I used personal time so I didn't have to be here until 9:00 to hand out paychecks (yay, my favorite- not!).

It feels like the longest day of my life, but I've only been at work for 5 1/2 hours. On my way home, I have to stop at Costco to buy salad, and then somewhere else to get Drano, because our bathroom sink is clogged with shaving cream and hair from the Hubs shaving off his yeti face, LOL. He shaved last night, and the sink wouldn't drain, so he wrote a note on the mirror to say sorry (because he knows I get totally grossed out by hair in the sink- one of my biggest pet peeves). How cute is that (the note, not the hair, ha ha)? Then my plan is to watch Biggest Loser (finally!) and eat some kind of healthy dinner- but I probably still won't work out. This disgusting air is seriously killing my lungs. It rained a bit this afternoon, but it didn't really help much. We're supposed to get a big snow storm Sunday, and that's when the real relief will come.

Well, that's it for today. But I did want to mention that I noticed I have a few new followers. Welcome to the craziness. I will be checking out your blogs soon, I promise. And thank you everyone for your comments. I don't always have time to reply to them, but I always enjoy reading them.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

So sorry for your air darlin! No fun! Tell your sis congrats and good luck.. what an accomplishment! :) My boyfriend grows his facial hair out randomy then shaves and wonders why the sink gets clogged. He just gets one look and an eye roll from me and hes out fixing the problem. MEN. :) Happy Thursday

Marcie said...

I'm surprised to read that SLC has the worst air in the country! That's not good for all of the exercisers! =(

What would we do without Drano anyway?? I think we need to buy stock in it. ; ) Have a good weekend.

Janice {Run Far} said...

This is the part where I tell you I am happy to bot be living in Utah right now. Ha ha... really I would rather suffer through it then be so far from friends and family. I grew up in Orem, and the air gets pretty bad down that way too. I think resting this week was a great idea.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Yes.. I ran Ogden last year. I had just run Boston one month before so I am not sure if that is why, but Ogden was kind of tuff for me. Well not really. I was good until about mile 23. It got really hot and you come out of the canyon and run on this bike/running trail and i struggled from 23-26.2. I would do it again though. It is a beautiful run. They also have a half.

Janice {Run Far} said...

P.S you gotta do St George Marathon in Oct. It is by far my favorite run.

Nicole said...

Ok i know you posted thursday but it seems like foreve!

I think you should sign up for the Chicago marathon! Registration opens feb 1st and i think there are a few fellow bloggers running it! I promise it would be SUPEr fun!

X-Country2 said...

I just read your race report, and I wanted to offer super duper congrats again. :o)

That sucks about the air up there. I hate when your mind and body are motivated, but outside forces stand in the way.

carla said...

I had no idea about the air around there...makes our pollen laden stuff seem benign.

come visit. youll love it here :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever would have guessed that about SLC! Sorry!