There are plenty of kids in this world that have more than they really need. But there are also too many that don't have even the basics in their life. Or maybe that's all they have. They probably come from a single-parent home, where they struggle to make ends meet. The parent probably doesn't have a lot of extra time to spend with the kids, because most likely they are working (at least) two jobs. Or maybe the situation at home isn't the most nurturing due to drug or alcohol addiction. It's even possible that one parent is in jail. There are so many things that kids have to deal with, and these things shouldn't be among the list.
Kids should be free to play and imagine, and to grow up in a healthy, loving environment. They should have someone there to help them with their homework, to encourage and support them, and to just be a friend. Well, this is what Big Brothers Big Sisters is all about. It's a national program where adults are matched up as mentors for kids who need a little extra help, because they don't have it at home. Last year, I was blessed with the opportunity to be a Big Sister to a young girl who needed some extra help. I participated through the Redwood Elementary School program, and spent an hour with her every week, helping her with her homework, reading or just playing games. She was very shy at the beginning, but throughout the year we built a great friendship. It was very fulfilling for me to see the changes in her, and to watch her come out of her shell.
Now I'm not saying that this was because of my glorious skills or anything like that. I do, however, give much credit to the Big Brothers Big Sisters program for giving kids a chance to have something that's missing from their lives. And I was very glad to be a part of it. Unfortunately, due to schedule conflicts at work, I was unable to participate in the program this year. But I still wanted to do my part to help the cause. Along with several others from my company, I am participating in the BBBS Bowl for Kids' Sake this Saturday, Feb 28. The minimum that I have to reach in donations is $100, and I'm only partially there.
So this is where I am soliciting all of you for help. Below is a link to my donation page, where you can submit a donation online (the site is secure) and it will go toward a great cause. Also remember that your donation is tax deductible. Like I said, I understand that some of you may not have a lot of extra cash sitting around. But just think if you gave up one meal eating out, or even a movie ticket, and put that toward helping a child who could really use it. Even if you can only give $5, it really makes a difference. Heck, even if you can only give $2 or $3, it would still really help. Here is a picture of my bowling team from last year (behind me is the Boss Man, in case you were curious). It was so much fun, and we raised a ton of money!!
Time is off the essence, since I need to have all my donations in by this Friday (2/27/09). So please, please, if you are able, make a donation right here. I will be eternally grateful- and so will Big Brothers Big Sisters. If you have any questions, or want additional information, feel free to visit the BBBS web site (I linked the BBBS of Utah web site above), or just ask me. Thank you in advance for whatever you can contribute!!!!
Time is off the essence, since I need to have all my donations in by this Friday (2/27/09). So please, please, if you are able, make a donation right here. I will be eternally grateful- and so will Big Brothers Big Sisters. If you have any questions, or want additional information, feel free to visit the BBBS web site (I linked the BBBS of Utah web site above), or just ask me. Thank you in advance for whatever you can contribute!!!!Oh, and if you haven't given up hope on my lately, please stay tuned, as I have a few updates to post, including my Sweetheart 5k race report, among others.

7 comments:
How great that you are doing BBBS. I'm involved in a local organization that does a similar thing- I am mentoring a teenager in foster care. We actually have our first outing tonight so it's funny how this post came up today. I'm donating. Good luck!
my hubs and I just donated to Big bro and big sister here in our area, but you are amazing... good luck.
Your awesome and so very sweet. I've considered doing bb/bs but i honestly dont have the time or money right now. But i'll send you virtual hugs to pass on to your bb/bs :)
I donated!! Good luck!!!
What a great thing. I have a friend who is in the Big Brother side of the program. He has a very large heart for children and this is a wonderful cause. I wish you the best of luck on reaching your goal.
What a great cause to donate to. Good luck!
What a fun thing to do for charity! Consider it done. :)
Post a Comment