Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Zero Energy (and a Hot Tub Bonus)

Okay, since the Hubs has his game night tonight, normally I would have plenty of time for blogging and watching Biggest Loser from last night. But unfortunately I am coming down with something. I woke up this morning with a total sore throat, and my head is all congested- and I'm exhausted!

Yesterday I went on my first weekday run since before my half, and I was proud of myself for finally getting out there on a day besides Saturday. But it was a tough run. I was really struggling with my breathing. I was coughing up phlegm like nobody's business (sorry, TMI, I know). I chalked it up to losing a bit of my aerobic capacity from not consistently running. However, today's illness makes me wonder if it was already setting in, and that's why I was having such a hard time. Or did I get sick because of the run. Hmmm, the chicken or the egg?

I don't know, but it's the same gunk that I dealt with after Christmas, and it stuck around for almost 2 weeks (and the Hubs caught it from me last time, so please pray and cross your fingers and do whatever else so that he doesn't get sick this time, too). My boss has been sick all week and hasn't been in to work, so luckily yesterday and today's meetings were cancelled. That meant I could leave after working a half day today. I stuck it out as long as I could. I bought some comfort food on the way home (at this place called Sconecutter, that's my absolute favorite- it's only in Utah, but it is to die for... unfortunately I never eat there because I'm sure it's super unhealthy) and watched one episode of 30 Days (they're done by Morgan Spurlock, who did Supersize Me- they are very entertaining, and they were re-running on FX a while back) then took a 2 hour nap. I was super groggy when I woke up, but forced myself to keep drinking liquids and ate a popsicle.

Now that I've watched Biggest Loser, I guess I should eat something for dinner (probably chicken soup, since I can't really taste anything anyway and I need more veggies- a French Dip and honeybutter cinnamon scone just don't cut it). Sorry that I don't have anything more interesting to report, but I just don't have the energy or motivation. Oh well, I guess I could mention that we finally have the hot tub up and running. A few weeks ago, we had a guy come and do the electrical work so that we could plug it in. Now, $950 later, and after cleaning it and buying a few more chemicals and supplies over the weekend, it's functional. Let me run outside and take a picture for you. Hang on.

Okay, here you go. Here is the finished product. I sincerely hope that sitting in the hot tub the last couple of nights in the cold outside air didn't make me sick. Then again, I was sick at Christmastime, too, and I sure wasn't hot-tubbing then. Don't you just want to hop in?
Okay, that's it for today. I hope that I can sleep tonight, after taking such a long nap, and even moreso that I can make it to work for two more days. It sucks having to use paid time off for stuff other than having fun. But at least I have it when I need it (in fact, I actually have more personal a.k.a. "sick time" than vacation right now, so I'm set if I need it). I'm going to keep thinking positive, healthy thoughts. Plus, I need to run at least 6 miles this Saturday so that I can get back on track for whichever half-marathon I decide to do. But I'm not going to force it. I still have plenty of wiggle room so that if I don't feel up to it, I can give myself time to recuperate.

9 comments:

Carly said...

I hope you feel better soon! Ohhhh the hot tub looks awesome. What a great reward for a long day. I love winter hot tubbing. My parents have one and we do it even when it is below zero.

Nicole said...

Feel better soon! Your hot tub looks very warm! Ahh its freezing in MI right now. I think it was like 4 degrees or something! WAY TOO COLD! Winter hot tubing is the best! Brian's family has one and i think you've just tempted me to sugguest it for some weekend entertainment! :)

Pat said...

TMI - that would be a good name for a blog.
hope you get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Hope your little cold dosen't turn in to a big one. Seems like everyone is getting sick. Drink lots of fluids.

Janice {Run Far} said...

we have the sick bug over here too. I hope sleep comes easy for you. And I am super jealous of the Hot tub.

Tammy said...

I'm so jealous of the hot tub!

There's a bug going around here, but it only lasts for 24 hours. Hopefully, you'll feel better tomorrow!

X-Country2 said...

Awww, I hate being sick. Get well soon chica.

I know you said that Sconecutter place was unhealthy, but how good does that place look? Wow. If you ever watch Diners, Drivein, and Dives on Food Network, they've gone to a couple Salt Lake City places and they too look pretty amazing.

Marcie said...

Ahhhh....that hot tub looks divine! I hope you get to feeling better soon and you aren't down too long with it.

kikimonster said...

I think we're all in the process of coming down with something. Here in the Northeast, we've had spring weather over the past few days. Gorgeous, except my nose is running (glad one part of me can run fast!) and my allergies are kicking it into high gear.

I am soooooooooooo jealous of the hot tub. Enjoy it girl!