Friday, October 24, 2008

Deer Widows' Weekend

I seriously haven't written since Tuesday? Bad Blogger!

Okay, so I'm not really a deer-widow, but the Hubs has been out of town most of the week, and tonight I'm hanging out with my mom and sister (and her kids) who are deer-widows. Close enough, right?

Last night when I was reading blogs before eating dinner, my doorbell rang. I had no idea who it could be, since I wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door, and who did I see? My long-lost brother, who moved to Denver back in August (yeah, the one that I haven't talked to or emailed since- oopsie, my bad). I knew he was flying in to go deer hunting, but I didn't know he was coming by my house. Turns out they needed to borrow a couple of our sleeping bags (good thing I was home- I could have been at the Jazz game- no really, the Hubs won tickets on the radio, but since he was out of town, we gave them to my sister). So I talked with him for a minute, and he had to get going. My mom is having dinner at her house on Sunday, so I'll have time to catch up with him then. He said school is going really well (for background info, read this post). But what did I expect? He graduated from undergrad in 3 years with a ridiculously high GPA (3.8 or above, not sure exactly). He's a classic overachiever, but that's why I love him (plus he can take care of our parents when they're old, and I won't have to worry about it, j/k).

This week I have felt totally crappy- physically and emotionally. I think it's a lack of running/exercise, combined with the changing weather, and just overall stress that's getting to me. I need to get back into a routine. I'm glad that I changed back to my early work schedule, because it was hard to be at work until 6:00, but now that I'm getting up a little earlier, I feel tired all the time. It's been so hard to motivate myself to exercise when I just want to come home from work and sleep. But I did my elliptical workout Tuesday night, and lifted weights and did abs during Biggest Loser (I just have to say the former Brown team, Vicky and Brady, are sooo annoying). But Wednesday I couldn't bring myself to run. I was too tired and I felt yucky. I probably should have at least gone for a walk, but it was really windy, and I HATE the wind. So instead I made pancakes for dinner, and watched a total chick flick ("The Notebook"). I just needed to let it out, and boy did that show do the trick (I cry really easily, so you can imagine what it's like for me with that movie- hello floodgates!).

Yesterday I was feeling a little better, and since I didn't vote on Wednesday I needed to do it yesterday. So I headed straight to the library after work and got it done. I'm saving my "I Voted" sticker to wear on Nov 4, though. I knew that I also needed to run, and the weather was really nice- cold, but sunny. I knew I would be mad at myself if I didn't do it, so I decided to try out a new running spot. There's a park a couple miles from my house that's much bigger than "my" park, and the path around it is just under a mile- and it's partially asphalt instead of just sidewalk (better on the body). It was a nice change of scenery, and there was a soccer game going on, so there were a ton of people around. And even though I felt like I was going so slow, I checked my Nike+ and it showed that my pace was around 8:30 for the first little while (post warm-up). I tried to slow it down so I wouldn't burn out. It was a decent run, but I was still having some knee pain after a couple of miles.

It's hard, but I need to remember that it's okay to take it slow for a while. There's no rush to increase my mileage. The only race I have planned is a 5k on Thanksgiving Day- and I don't even have a time goal for that, it's mostly just for fun (and for fitness, since I always eat way too much). I just feel so "lazy" if I'm not continually progressing and pushing myself. Does that make sense? If I'm just doing the bare minimum and "only" doing a 3-mile run, I feel like a slacker. Dang the guilt! I just can't escape it!!! My current goal is to run twice a week, and I'm on track to meet that, so why am I so disappointed in myself? I guess it's because I don't feel like much of a runner lately.

Anyway, I got my flu shot today, and after work I'm headed to my mom's house to watch a movie and eat popcorn with her and my sister. We'll probably take a break midway and go see my youngest sister perform at half-time at the football game. Oh, and we'll probably do some cheap fast food for dinner (I'm thinking Wendy's because I like their grilled chicken sandwich and side salad- or maybe chili). Then later tonight I am picking up the Hubs at the airport. I am so excited to see him!!! Hopefully he took lots of good pictures in Chicago (he did say that he saw Wicked the first night he was there- so jealous).

For this weekend, I have a run planned tomorrow morning, and a haunted house tomorrow night (the Hubs also won free passes on the radio). Both of my football teams have a by (or is it "bye"- I don't know) this week- can you believe that?! I guess I'll have to cheer for BYU, because it's better than no football at all. On Sunday, we have dinner at my mom's (with my brother), and then a birthday/costume party with the Hubs' family later on. It should be good, but hopefully I'll be able to relax and get some sleep.

Oh, and last night I totally made hummus, because after reading MizFit's guest post, and all the comments with tasty ideas, I was craving it something fierce!! And it was good- just so you know!

10 comments:

Momisodes said...

Only 3 miles? How I wish :) I feel the same way as you do about the changing weather. It's making me feel a bit "blah" and the cold windy air is not motivating me to run at all.
Hopefully it warms up a bit this weekend!

Nicole said...

You can totally watch the Michigan vs. Michigan State game tomorrow and cheer for Michigan. That would be cool with me :)

Take it easy with the running, you'll get back into a routine and things will be great. Just give it time. I had a hard time being 'chill' with my runs this week. Its soooo hard but it helped a lot.

It sounds like tomorrow will be fun! Haunted houses! AHH fun. I've never been but would love to go if i could muster up some courage. I'm the big screaming idiot that everyone wants to attack so i'm way to afraid to go! Have a good weekend and good luck with the running! :)

Anonymous said...

happy run morning.

Im heading outside to wait for you to jog by and pick me up!!

kikimonster said...

I think we're all dealing with the weather change. Seriously. I'm sitting here, on my computer, it's raining outside. I know I should go to the gym and workout, but there is WATER falling from the SKY. Do I really have to go out there?

Cyndi said...

Sheesh! I am tired just reading all the goings-on you have in your busy life! ;-) It's all good stuff...family, friends, hubby, football, workouts...wooh! You take it all in stride too, I really admire that. Sometimes, I confess I just get 'done' and have to step back and chill.

It's nice to get those 'chick flick' moments though, isn't it? I'm gettin me some of that tonight since my husband is down the street watching OHIO STATE, my girls are at respective sleepovers, and my son is already in bed (rough afternoon for him ugh!).

Seriously, keep remembering to add in those times just for 'you' - it's important!

X-Country2 said...

The weather change kills me too. Running when it's sunny and 80 is so much more appealing than windy and cold.

N.D. said...

hope your week got better, mine was crappy too

Pokey said...

Just say NO to guilt!!! You are doing just fine...and will get back on track in your own time ;)

Hang in there!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on feeling lazy if I am not constantly pushing myself. We're OK as long as we're getting out and doing something...running two days sounds like an attainable goal that should keep you happy.

How was it when your hubs got home?? I bet he missed you just as much as you missed him.

I hope you're having a great week!

How was the haunted house???

Anonymous said...

checking on you.

SO NOT NAGGING at all but longing to know if you have a new head, err, hair.

all that.

if you have made any changes I need to know about so i can keep up :)

Miz.