Thursday, October 9, 2008

Marathon Season Independence Weight Loss Challenge

Today is the start of Viv's "Marathon Season Independence Weight Loss Challenge". No, I'm not running a marathon (and you don't have to be to join in the competition), but I certainly would like a little something extra to encourage me to lose those last few stubborn pounds. Know what I mean? And there are prizes involved for the winners (although we're all winners in a way...cue sappy music and video montage here).

Today is also Viv's birthday, so make sure you stop on by and at least give her a birthday wish, even if you're not up for the Challenge. And although Viv will not be posting the participants' weight- just the percentage lost each week- I will post today's weigh-in, in all its glory. Gulp. Here goes nothin'.

Today I weigh 139.0 lbs. That's almost back to fat pants, people! Now this wouldn't be a big deal if I had gradually re-gained it. I think I mentioned (but now I'm not so sure) that although my weight was up a couple pounds from my low of 133.6, I was holding steady and my pants were still fitting great, and I was okay at 135. In fact, that's what I weighed just this last Saturday. Tuesday morning I weighed myself and I was at 137.8 (in hindsight, this probably wasn't such a great idea, since it was the morning after my Monday Night Football feast and late night party). And then today at 139- seriously, I didn't think it was possible to gain 4 lbs. in 5 days. I am hoping that at least some of it is water weight, and I definitely need to get more fiber (sorry, TMI). I think this Challenge came along at just the right time. Holy Schnikes!

In other news, I did attempt a run Tuesday afternoon, as I indicated that I was itching to get back out there. Well, my leg was hurting just a little bit once I started running (after my warm-up) but not too bad, and it was a little bit warm (around 74- which is actually a lot warmer than the 50 degrees that I was used to in the morning). I anticipated that it might be difficult to get back into the swing of things, so I was prepared to mentally power through it. What I was not prepared for was the horribly intense pain in my right knee, due to the ITB issue re-surfacing. I was even wearing my strap, and I wasn't going very fast (just my normal 9:00-9:30 pace).

Yeah, it pretty much sucked. I didn't go very far (about 3.25 miles), and I made it the first two miles running (some of that was in pain), but after that it was walking almost the whole way home. I did make one short attempt to run again after a walking break, but quickly realized this wasn't going away. Before when I had the trouble, I was always fine as long as I stopped to walk (remember the 9-mile debacle?). Well, this time it got to the point where it was hurting even when I walked- and hurting pretty bad. In fact at about 2.75 miles I turned off my Nike+ because I was moving so slow (I didn't want to totally screw up my average pace), and I was even slightly limping. Plus I had to practically crawl up the hill the last .4 miles to my house. I saw a kid delivering newspapers on a razor scooter, and I came *this close* to asking him if I could ride his scooter home and I would give him a couple bucks when we got to my house. But then I thought about it, and realized that with the bending and pushing, it might be even worse on my knee than walking.

I even considered taking an ice bath when I got home, something that has always horrified me to even imagine (that's how bad it was ). But I changed my mind after getting home and collapsing (all hot and sweaty). Then, to top it all off, the Presidential Debate screwed up my Biggest Loser schedule, and pushed it back to 9:00 p.m. instead of the usual 7:00 p.m. And, it was only the first hour of the show (the second hour was on last night, and I haven't watched it yet- so no spoilers people- Kiki, that means I won't be reading your blog today until I've had a chance to watch BL after work). So I was pretty grumpy and frustrated, and I didn't even do a strength workout (I could barely make it down the stairs to plop myself in front of the TV). I wrapped my knee in an ace bandage and iced it, plus I took a bunch of ibuprofen. Somehow I stayed awake until the end of BL at 10:00, and the Hubs got home before I went to bed (maybe I switched back to the early schedule a bit too soon).

Yesterday I used the ace bandage again, and had my knee elevated at work, plus my ice pack. And the ibuprofen definitely helped. At least I'm not limping today, but I certainly won't be running anytime soon (that's just craptastic!) So not only am I gaining weight, but I can't get back to running, as I had hoped. Plus (here's the kicker) there's snow in the forecast for this weekend. Yes, that's right- I said SNOW! Here's proof:

I hate to say it, but could things get any worse? Okay, I take that back. Things really aren't that bad. At least my job is going okay, and I'm off work by 3:30 (which is so fantastic, by the way). And my job isn't near as stressful as the Hubs' right now (he's a financial planner, so you can imagine how much "fun" he's having every day as the stock market drops lower and lower). Life is good, but dang it, I wish I could run. This is just one of those times where I have to make an extra effort to focus on what I have, rather than what I don't have.

On a completely random, and unrelated note, I read a story about a lady here in Utah who is giving away a house for FREE, for anyone who wants to pay the costs of moving it. So, if you're up for it, you, too could have a free house. Check it out!

12 comments:

RunningNan said...

We have a bus line around Cleveland and the headline says "Smile and ride for free". You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to flag down that bus, show him my pearly whites, and get a ride. I may have to flash a little more to get him to go out of his way to bring me back to work, but some of the runs I've had post surgery have made me feel that way!

RooBabs said...

Nan- Ha ha, that's too funny about the bus. I say, whatever works.

Nicole said...

Maybe try running 2 miles or even 1mile before you jump back into 3 or 4. If your body could handle 2.75 then go back to two. Run that for a little while and see if it helps. Keep taking care of that knee and dont run if its hurting. Not running drives me crazy so i understand that feeling but do other things, swim, elipitical and all that.

I read a quote somewhere the other day and i cant even think of where but it said something like would you rather run for the next two weeks or run for the rest of your life.

Keep your head high and things will get better i'm sure of it! As for the snow, all i can say is that i'm thanking god its gonna be nice in MI this weekend.. but if its hitting you, then it will probably be here soon.

Whats this challenge all about? I'm all into challenges now! :)

RooBabs said...

Nicole- That's exactly what I'm thinking. Looking back, I probably should have gone to the park and run laps, instead of gallivanting through the neighborhood. Then I could have just made the short (although downhill) walk home at the first sign of pain. I also saw a quote like that recently, except it was something like, "You want to run for the rest of your life, not just today". And go check out Viv's page for info on the challenge! You have until the 12th to submit your weight to her via email.

Kevin Westbrook said...

If 139 justifies fat pants then I am in serious trouble.

Anonymous said...

oh that I had ANY GOOD RUNNING insights to share.

Ill take a free house though!

Anonymous said...

If it works..heck yes! Take it a step at a time. Have a fantastic weekend!

Tammy said...

If 139 is fat pants, I'm in serious trouble too!

Luckily, I'm 5'8".
And wearing MY fat pants.
I won't tell you how much I weigh, though.

RooBabs said...

Dando- You're probably taller than me, plus you're a guy so it's a little different.

MizFit- I'm sure it wouldn't cost very much to move a house from UT to TX, haha.

Mark- Thanks- and yes, one step at a time.

Tammy- Sorry about the fat pants. I guess there could be worse things, though, like maybe a third eye.

Viv said...

Thanks for the plug! I know you will do well in the challenge. You are no a fatty pants but you know where you feel best at weight wise and there is nothing wrong with that. Good luck and we are all winners for doing the challenge no matter what...corny yes I am :-)

Listen, you walked the rest because you felt pain, whiche differs from discomfort and it takes a champ to know and listen to the differnce. Hang in there.

RooBabs said...

Viv- Awww thanks. Believe me, I didn't feel like a champ as a million cars drove by me as I was waddling home. But whatever.

Wahoo! We're all winners (I'm all about the corn these days).

N.D. said...

It's hard when you were like 115 and it wasn't too healthy and you're feeling like 139 is so much. It totally isn't at all. If you aren't happy with it, get to a weight where you feel happy with yourself and your weight! Hopefully the challenge will help, but you don't look like you have to lose weight!