Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Playing Hookie

Once again, I've been "away". Although you may have noticed that I'm trying to stay caught up with my blog reading, so I've been commenting here and there.

Last Friday I spent time with my mom and sisters. I took 2 giant CD binders full of DVD's, and out of all of them, they decided to watch "Taxi" (with Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon). Really? There wasn't something better? Oh well, who was I to judge, since I had never seen it. They said it was funny. I'll admit, what I watched of it was pretty funny. However, since the Hubs was able to catch an earlier flight, I had to leave early to pick him up (8:12 instead of 10:37- so much for my girls' night out). But that's okay, because I was happy to see him (and I wasn't looking forward to driving to the airport that late at night- I have poor night vision, and it was past my bedtime, so I was a little worried about drowsy driving).

Because my arm was seriously sore from my flu shot, I decided to take a Tylenol PM (make that 2) when I went to sleep. Holy cow! It knocked me out. I slept from about 10 p.m. until almost 10 a.m. Needless to say when I woke up, I was a little hungover. We went to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant (where they recently just jacked up their prices). I didn't end up going for a run, because I was saving up my strength for yard work. The Hubs planned to remove the wood frames from the cement patio, and mow the lawn, so I offered to rake all the leaves and pick up the 9 million sticks on the grass. It didn't look like as many leaves as I raked up, plus it was much hotter out in the sun than I realized. So my sore arm, combined with some serious raking and bagging leaves, I was pretty worn out. (I know I promised pictures of the finished patio, and they will be coming at some point, even though we still need to fill in with dirt around the edges)

Saturday night we were supposed to go to the haunted house with the Hubs' brother and his wife, but they flaked out on us, and since neither of us really felt like going anyway, we just stayed home and watched TV (since we had lots of Tivo'd shows to catch up on from the Hubs being gone).

Sunday after church we drove up to my mom's house for dinner. We went up there early to spend time visiting with my brother, who was flying back to Denver that night. It's always loud and rowdy with my family, especially in my parents' small house, but it's always fun. Plus, it's been a while since all 5 of my siblings have been together (plus spouses and kids).

Finally we had to take off for the Hubs' brother's house for the birthday/costume party. The party was for him, and his son (whose birthday was earlier in the month), and one of the other brother's wives (got that?). We changed into pseudo-costumes at my parents' house, but when we arrived, we were the only ones wearing them. Apparently they changed their mind, but didn't bother to tell us (although for the record, my SIL said she tried to call us to let us know... there was a missed call on my phone from an hour and a half earlier). The Hubs was wearing camo pants and an army jacket, and I was wearing an "army-green" flight suit with a khaki baseball cap, so it's not like we were all decked out or anything. But we still felt kinda dumb. After they opened presents, we headed out, although we had to drop off the Hubs' brother on our way.

On the way home, there was a little drama and my feelings were hurt. I read for a while, but then went to bed. When I woke up Monday morning, I was still a little miffed, plus I was tired and felt overwhelmed about not getting any cleaning or laundry done over the weekend, so I called in to work and used a vacation day. Now that I earn 4 weeks of paid vacation a year, I have plenty of extra to use for days just like that. After I called at 5:00 a.m. I went back to bed. When the Hubs woke up and realized that I wasn't going in, he thought it would be a good idea to stay home, too. He had some work that he could do on the computer, so it worked out well. It was nice to just spend the day together, doing whatever.

After I ate breakfast, I headed up to the park to run. I really wanted to run on my regular route, but I was worried about having knee problems and being far from home (and having to walk up the hill in pain). It was warmer than I thought, so by the end, my long sleeve shirt was all sweaty in my elbows, and my forehead was dripping. But I was happy, because my total was just over 4 miles!! I finally went longer than 3.2 miles, yippee! I still had some calf pain, and a little pain in my knee, but with my walk breaks, it wasn't too bad at all. I slowed down my pace a bit, but otherwise, it was just a regular run. And it was pretty good.

I showered, and since it was so warm, I put on capris- yes, I had to dig them out of the basement! Apparently it's going to be 70 degrees every day this week! A while back I mentioned that in Utah sometimes we have all 4 season in one week. Well this week, it's only one season, and that's Indian Summer- and I'm loving it!!

I went to 2 grocery stores, did 3 loads of laundry and cleaned up the kitchen. But I ended up with a headache in the afternoon, so I laid down in the cold basement with the electric massager on my neck and watched Jon & Kate Plus 8. Then later on, the Hubs and I spread newspaper on the dining room floor and carved pumpkins with his carving kit that I gave him for his birthday- it came with Minnesota Vikings carving patterns! We carved a football and a "Go Vikings" pumpkin. They were a little tricky, but they turned out all right. Yes, I know I need to take pictures (but since the Hubs had the camera in Chicago all last week, I fell out of the habit of snapping a picture of everything, even though it's back in my purse). I'll try to post some tonight.

Yesterday back at work was a catch-up day. All the supervisors and managers were out of the office at an off-site meeting, so I was just going through all my email, and reading blogs. Well, I did some other stuff, too, but I really didn't have a lot of motivation. After work I stopped at a thrift store to look for some Halloween costume stuff (this year I am so not feeling it, and I have been a major slacker). Since the Hubs' brother is having a Halloween party tomorrow (with costumes this time), and he wants everyone to wear something late 19th/early 20th century, I had somewhat of a direction to head in. I think I found something that will work- it's a long taffeta skirt that's burgundy (it's actually part of a 2-piece prom dress, but the top so doesn't fit the theme), and I'm thinking I'll wear it with a black dress shirt that has some lace on it. It will look sort of Victorian. Then I can pull my hair back in a bun or something. If it isn't too poofy, I might even wear the slip I wore with my wedding dress under the skirt. We'll see how it goes. I really procrastinated this too long to worry about it much. Most people at my office dress up, but I'm at the point where I don't even care. I might just wear my Charlie Brown t-shirt that says "I got a rock" with a picture of the Peanuts gang in their Halloween costumes.

By the time I got home, I was getting pretty hungry, and I had to almost force myself to workout. I ate a few prunes and some carrots with hummus as a pre-workout snack (weird, I know, but it actually helped). The Hubs left a message for me asking if I would iron a shirt for him, since he has a presentation to do today (and he was having his game night with the boys). He said he would give me a back rub if I did it, so I obliged (after dinner, and while watching the Biggest Loser, of course). I didn't end up doing my strength training, though. But I'm pretty proud that I did my 45 minutes on the elliptical (cuz I almost didn't), so I'm calling it good. Speaking of Biggest Loser, there will be no episode next week (due to election day, I'm guessing) which is good, because I was worried about it being interrupted by election coverage. But it still sucks that I have to wait 2 more weeks to get my fix (and boy am I glad that they're dissolving the teams, because I am so sick of the conniving, lying and back-stabbing).

I guess that brings me to today. I have to get my oil changed after work (one of my least favorite things to do, but at least I'll have a minute to read a magazine). I also have to do some sewing for my costume tomorrow (the skirt is a size 12, so it will be major surgery to make it fit in the waist). Luckily, it's leftover pork-chops and brown rice for dinner. The rest of the week will be crazy, since I don't plan to go home after work. But I'll try to get some pictures up (of the patio and the pumpkins). I've been meaning to get some pics of the changing leaves in my neighborhood (now that they're finally changing), so if I have time, I'll add those, too.

And, although it's not much, I'm down 0.8 lbs this week (which brings me to 136.2). I'm still #13 in Viv's Challenge (how weird), so I'm thinking it's a lucky sign. I really need to get back to running (because it's a lot easier for me to lose weight/maintain), but in the meantime, I need to be extra diligent about doing other types of workouts and watching my food intake. I'm still journaling, and it's going pretty well (although the weekends are still a struggle, because my notebook just sits in my bag).

For anyone who might be wondering (you know who you are ; p), I have not made any drastic changes to my hair, although I am still contemplating- it will happen if/when I can find time.

****************PHOTO UPDATE****************

Okay, so I was a little busy and have no patio picture- yet. But wouldn't you know it, the Hubs had already taken pictures of the pumpkins when they were lit up (and yes, they were on the camera that was in my purse while I was writing this post yesterday). So here is a pumpkin pic:
I'll try to get the other pics tomorrow or this weekend. Just be patient. LOL

14 comments:

Nicole said...

I love my short hair i think you should wack yours off for giggles and see how you like it! I used to have longer hair but now growing it out is boring to me anyway!

It sounds like you had a crazy weekend and a much needed day of rest monday. I feel like there are days when i want to call into work! Ugh i wish i could call into life for one week and do nothing but sit around but get my running in too! Its not being lazy if i exercise right? :)

Have a good weekend and GREAT job with the challenge! You rock

...to Lose 55 Pounds said...

I vote for whacking off the hair, too. Okay, at least 6 or 7 inches...whatever the minimum is to donate to Locks for Love. My cousin grew his hair out just so he could donate it. He has gorgeous thick black hair...silky smooth...heck, I'D like to have a wig with his hair! lol...

Your hair is really pretty though...do with it what you want. =)

Anonymous said...

WOW you had the busiest weekend ever!!! Have you had a chance to sit down and relax yet? We need pics of the new stuff, patio, pumpkins and you/hubs in your Halloween costumes.

Your running sounds like it's taking a back seat to living your life and that's a good thing. Nothing wrong with doing other enjoyable things, right.

Waiting patiently for your pics...

RunningNan said...

So you'll be by to clean my house this weekend? You made me tired reading all of that, now I need a vacation day!

Tammy said...

Great minds think alike, with the Monday sick day!

I feel you on the family drama. I don't even get invited to my neice/nephews' birthday parties. That's a story for another time...

X-Country2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
X-Country2 said...

What a weekend! Sounds like the perfect mix of relaxing and productivitiy.

You'll have to take pictures of the halloween festivities. Sounds like a fun one.

RooBabs said...

Nicole- I definitely won't be chopping my hair (maybe coloring it, though). I cut 6 inches off last year and it scared me to death (even though no one noticed!). And about not being lazy if you exercise- I am with you on that one! And you are totally rockin' the challenge!! Dang girl!

Marcie- I would love to donate my hair if I ever cut it, but since it's so thin and fine, the ponytail that they cut off would be about as big around as my thumb (not even joking), so I would feel dumb donating so little. Maybe some day.

Shosh- A back seat, yes, but I would really love for it to be more "shot gun" rider than back seat- ha ha. But in the meantime I'm just trying to stay active so I don't feel so guilty. P.S. There's one picture for you. = )

Nan- Uuuuuhhhh, clean? Yeah, I don't do much of that. Seriously, it's usually the Hubs that does the dishes, because I hate it.

Tammy- That totally sucks about not being invited. It's their loss, though.

X-Country2- Definitely a good mix. And I will for sure take pictures of the costumes. The Hubs' brother is usually very elaborate (it's the artistic thing that runs in his family- one year he was a flying monkey from the Wizard of Oz) so I'm looking forward to it.

Carly said...

Phew I am catching up with you...you have been one busy girl!

I would have been a little annoyed with the costume thing....did you feel like bridget jones when she showed up at the garden party in costume?

About the hair...I am an advocate of the short do. I have to change it up all the time. post pics if you do it!!

Love the pumpkins! I am LMAO though because peeps in MN don't even like the Vikes. I think it is way cool that you like something from my hood : )

N.D. said...

Sounds like a pretty busy week, there, but lots of fun mixed in!

Steve Stenzel said...

TAXI!?! Really?!?

Nice job on the weight loss! And SWEET pumkins!!

kikimonster said...

Go for it!!! Cut your hair off!!!! (I'm sure your hubs would kill me for that!) I had really long hair, say, half way down my back, until last September, when I got the Katie Holmes cut. I've been growing it out since April 2008. GO FOR IT :)

Your neighborhood instigator,
Kiki!

Lance said...

So, where are the pictures of you guys in costume??? I hear you on feeling dumb about costumes. We went to a costume party a week ago - in costume - only to realize that most people weren't in costume. At first there was no one in costume - and that's when I felt really dumb. But it was too late then - so we made the best of it. And...eventually a few others showed up in costume (but not many).

Way to go on the run too - that's pretty awesome!!

RooBabs said...

Carly- the costume wasn't too bad (definitely not like the Bridget Jones, thing, ROFL). I'll definitely post pics of any hair changes.

N.D.- Definitely busy and fun!

Steve- You get the prize for commenting about Taxi (I was wondering if anyone would razz me about that). And thanks (about the punkins).

Kiki- I didn't realize your hair used to be that long! Wow- there's no way I could chop it like that, and you're right, the Hubs would kill you (or me- or both, he he).

Lance- We never did take any pictures of the army outfit and flight suit. It really wasn't anything special. And luckily it wasn't mostly family, so we didn't feel too stupid.