Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tag Team, Back Again

(Anyone catch the reference?)

I was tagged by both Nicole and Shosh, so here goes. I did one a while back, so if you care to read the 5 things I wrote there, feel free to check it out. I'll do new things this time, and try to make it shorter.

Here are 6 things about me:

1. I love maple bars. You know the donuts that are rectangular and covered in maple frosting? Yep, I absolutely adore them, and have ever since I was a kid. I don't eat them very often, but if they're in front of me, it's next to impossible for me to pass it up. I don't even want to know how many calories are in one, but I'm sure it's a lot. That's why I try to stay away, because they are a trigger food for me.

2. In 5th grade, I was in the school spelling bee. I did pretty well, but I eventually was ousted by the word "lever". It wasn't that I didn't know how to spell "lever", it's just that I thought the moderator said "lover", so I correctly spelled "lover". Unfortunately that is the incorrect spelling of "lever" and therefore I was out. They even played back the recording to make sure she said the right word. Boy did I feel stupid (and I was mad, because I wondered how far I could have made it- I'm usually a really good speller).

3. I used to collect Marvin Martian "stuff". You know, the little alien from Looney Tunes? It started in high school when a friend of mine imitated the chemistry teacher and said that's who she sounded like. Then somehow it turned into this partial-obsession. I had a bunch of stuff: watches, key chains, plush, books, notebooks, mugs, a poster, slippers- even the alarm clock. I still have the slippers; I think I'll bust them out and wear them on Christmas morning.  ; D

4. I (sometimes) make jewelry. I haven't for a while, because I was way burned out after last Christmas, but it's been a hobby of mine since my freshman year of college. It started with hemp necklaces, and evolved into stuff made with beads and wire or metal. In fact, I made the jewelry I wore for my wedding. It was all made out of freshwater pearls- a 3-strand choker and matching bracelet, along with earrings. I also made bracelets for each of my "bridesmaids", who were all of my sisters and sisters-in-law, and for my niece who was the flower-girl.

5. I would love to go on an Alaskan cruise. The Hubs and I almost went on one last September. However, we ended up getting super-cheap airfare to Orlando, so we went back to Disney World instead. It was tons of fun, and a lot warmer than Alaska would have been, but I still hope to go on one some day. (The Hubs has been to 48 states- the only 2 he has missed are Alaska and Oregon... don't ask me how he missed Oregon- it's a shorter drive than to California).

6. Last, but not least, when I was a kid, one of my very favorite skits/sketches on Sesame Street was "Me and My Llama". You know, where the girl takes her llama to the dentist? For some reason I loved that song, and I was fascinated by the whole thing. It didn't come on very often, but whenever it did, I would get so excited. And now that I found it on YouTube (seriously, you should check it out), I think I'm going to make part of the song my ring tone on my cell phone. LOL. I'm sick of having the same ring as everyone else.

So now you know more about me than before, and probably more than you ever needed to know. But hopefully it made you laugh a little. I tag Ashley, Carly, Kiki, Marcy, Nan, and Tammy. Have fun!

To give a quick update, I had an awesome workout last night. The Hubs had his game night, and I was left to my own devices. So while watching Biggest Loser: Special Edition (the military wives episode, a re-run on the Style channel) I hammered out 45 minutes on the elliptical machine. It has been months since I went that long on the elliptical, and considering my recent state of "rest", I'm amazed I made it through. And it was a strong workout, too, where it felt really good, and I pushed it pretty hard.

Then I ate dinner, which was some leftover vegetable beef soup, and a grilled cheese sandwich. But it wasn't any old grilled cheese- I tried something new and it turned out pretty tasty. We have a "snackmaster" machine that makes grilled sandwiches (I think it's a Cuisinart sandwich grill, or something like that). We got it for our wedding and we use it all the time. I decided I would try making a sandwich with a Laughing Cow cheese wedge, instead of a slice of cheese, and see how it turned out. I also added in a couple slices of thin turkey. And you know what? It was actually really good. So, if you're into Laughing Cow, try it out. I also recently discovered that they sell Laughing Cow at Costco, and you can get 4 "wheels" for just over $8 (that's 32 wedges total). At the regular grocery store, it's normally around $5 for 8 wedges, and even Wal-Mart is $3.

Anyway, after dinner I watched Biggest Loser: Families and did my upper body strength training and abs. I decided to kick it up a notch, and bumped up my weights on a few of my moves. So my bicep curls were done with 10 lbs instead of 8, and a few things I changed to 8 lbs instead of 5. Wahoo! Pretty soon, I'm going to have to make bigger dumbbells to do my chest presses/flyes. Back in the day, I used to be able to do them with 25-lb dumbbells (right now I'm using 10). Then again, that's when I could do 45 push-ups in a minute, so obviously it was forever ago. About Biggest Loser, I'll just say, I love it when there's scandal and drama and they switch things up. And how about that crazy, long hiking challenge? Makes my tiny hike last Saturday seem like a walk to the mailbox.

I almost forgot. In my previous tag, I talked about my pet tarantula and said that I might post a picture. Well, for your viewing pleasure, here he is. His name is Phoenix. Isn't he cute? (I don't think he was very happy at being woke up at 6:00 this morning to pose for his close-up)

21 comments:

RunningNan said...

I loved the "me and my llama".. omigod that is so funny that you said that!

oh.. and gross picture by the way.. i have the heebeegeebees

RunningNan said...

oh, and I forgot.. I too was in the spelling bee in 7th grade. I fumbled on catapult. I threw an extra a in there for the hell of it. But, I spelled fiduciary right, and didn't know what it meant at the time.. go figure!

Cyndi said...

OMG! You are like...HOLDING.THE.SPIDER! HeeBees doesn't even begin to describe...it's like, fingernails on the blackboard! ;-) He's, um, pretty? But scary....

Nicole said...

OMG that tarantula is creeeepyyy.. i HATE spiders... ahhhhh i cant believe your touching it! i'm sure hes friendly, i mean i hope he dosent bite you or something.

if i saw a spider like that, i would probably scream.

RooBabs said...

Nan- Yeah, llamas are a little less creepy than spiders, I admit. Congrats on spelling fiduciary right. Too bad about catapult.

Cyndi- Aaaaah, I hate fingernails on a chalkboard- it's the worst.

Nicole- Yes, he's very nice. I've had him for almost 10 years and he hasn't bit me yet. Then again, he's usually well-fed.

N.D. said...

almost freaked out with the picture. Can't look at it again. I like to make jewelry too, but I got burnt out about a year ago. I have tons of swarvarki (sp) beads just sitting around.

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is my first time visiting your blog and I'm happy to have learned more about you from the tag team post!

In the 4th grade I fell out of the spelling bee with the word "Michigan". I have never recovered. :)

Tammy said...

I remember that Me and my Llama thing!! I liked that one, too.

The spider creeped me out, but I took this:

"he's very nice. I've had him for almost 10 years and he hasn't bit me yet. Then again, he's usually well-fed."

out of context... OH!! You mean the spider, NOT the hubs! :P

Midwest said...

Laughing Cow rocks.

By the way, made-up swear words (such as 'I swear to Yoda' and 'catlicker') are essential when you have a little kid who tends to pick up new vocabulary words at an alarming rate.

Cyndi said...

Hey! Just saw your comment on my calorie post yesterday and guess what - You would have been a GREAT math teacher! :-) You totally nailed it - I added in 300 calories for my THREE runs per WEEK, not the calories burned for the DAY. Therefore, the correct calories for me should be 1,580 to lose...which is certainly more doable! (and quite less than the 1,700-1,800 I probably eat now!)

That is just fundamental math - I can't tell you how many times I re-did that stupid formula thinking 'this can't be RIGHT'.

So THANK YOU! I can't believe nobody else caught it!

You would be a rockin math teacher....

Steve Stenzel said...

MMmmm...maple bars!

And #3 is AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

ok you made me lose my comment at the FREAKIN TARANTULA~

Anonymous said...

checking on you.
pondering going PINKFORHOPE (check the twitterthing on my blog) and making sure you know youre never allowed to change yer hair without giving me notice---so I can join in.

xo xo,

Miz.

Anonymous said...

Your pet tarantula would freak me out. It is cute, but I am more of a dog person!

I think it is very coole that you make jewlery.

K @ Running Through Life said...

Ooh, your grilled cheese sandwich with LC sounds yummy! I will have to try that!

Anonymous said...

Wowzah, congrats on upping those weights!!

I don't know that I'd want to snuggle up next to Phoenix... but to each his/her own! =)

I heart Laughing Cows, but almost want to boycot them due to their incredibly lame commericals.

Carly said...

OMFG.....I am frozen with horror. I freak when I see little spiders. *shudder* Please don't tell me you have a pet snake too???

Great facts!!!! I love the maple donuts too... *drool*

Lisa T said...

I just had to check out your blog since you're roobabs and I'm roo. How fun! In fifth grade I got out in the bee because I spelled mohair wrong. Thought she said molehair. DARN!

Anonymous said...

Ack! Here I am smiling about Marvin Martian then out of the blue a TARANTULA!

Not fair. :)

Nicole said...

Yep, thats me. I cant believe how far i am up there! Holy crap! Now i am really gonna keep working hard!

THANKS :)

Steve Stenzel said...

Chelsie IS pretty hot - that'd be enough to get your hubby to go!!!

;)