Today is a charity day at work- we have them in some shape or form quite frequently. We have 4 quarterly charities that we focus on, and then smaller ones that we tack on here and there throughout the year. We do all kinds of fund raisers, from selling dress-down stickers (for casual dress days), selling food (remember the chili dogs that I avoided last month), doing auctions, or signing up to be a part of some official event (such as Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure). This quarter our charity is JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Today is the kickoff in our breakroom, and we are having a PJ's and Pie day. Therefore, employees can wear their pajamas (as long as they are appropriate, of course) and they are selling dress-down stickers and- you guessed it- pie.I'm all about dressing down (casual). I love to wear jeans and capris, especially since the weather is warm (and since I have very few work pants that aren't too tight). However, it comes as a package deal. One sticker and a piece of pie for $5, or 4 stickers and pie for $10. So, what do I do? Buy 4 stickers and turn down the pie, or just give it to someone else, or do I cave in and eat it, in the name of charity. Let me tell you, pie is right up there with cheesecake and brownies and my list of favorite desserts. But I need a piece of pie like I need a hole in my head. Seriously, it's not just about depriving myself. I need to be more careful about what I eat, and right now the extra calories from pie just aren't worth it. I'd much rather chow down on all the yummy fruit that I bought yesterday (nectarines, blueberries, bananas, plus I still have cantaloupe). Besides, pie isn't very good fuel for all the running I've been doing.
So, I guess that kind of makes my decision. I will not be eating pie today. Besides, 4 stickers are still a good deal even without the pie, because usually they are $3 each when sold separately. Whew, I think I talked myself out of a near-disaster.

4 comments:
holy moley.
confusing (or mightcould just be me) and calorie laden.
Im thankful in this moment that I work-from-home.
M.
I like your site....those blueberries look tasty!
Good for you for resisting temptation!
MizFit- sorry to be so confusing, but you're right about the calories. I'm so glad I refrained.
Mark- thanks for stopping by. I haven't had much time to check out your site, but I looked for a minute, and it seems very informative. I'll definitely be back.
Robin- thanks!!
Post a Comment