Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Trial Run

Yes, the pun is intended. I am sick of feeling stifled by the heat- both physically, and in my running. So, I did it. I talked to the boss-man about trying out a different schedule temporarily. So next week, instead of working 7:00-3:30, and trying to find a time to run that it's not 95 degrees (and not 4:00 a.m.), I will be working 9:30-6:00 and will be running in the morning when it's nice and cool. I'm kind of excited, but also nervous, because I'm used to leaving work so early in the afternoon, and I'm afraid the days will drag with working so late. That, and I'll definitely have to plan ahead for dinner, because I won't have much time to figure something out once I get home (without eating at 8:00 p.m., that is). I really need help with the art of "defrost ahead of time". Heck, maybe I can even get the Hubs to help out a little more with dinner (okay, I won't push my luck).

But I guess for a week, I can handle (almost) anything. And if it doesn't work, I can go back to my usual schedule, or even tweak it a little. The reason why I'm not just going in a little bit later is because I would be stuck in mad traffic, and it would be a waste of my time and gas. So I might as well sleep in a little (until 6:00 a.m.), go running, and then have the morning to lolly-gag before I head to work (and hopefully avoid 90% of traffic). So I'll let y'all know how it goes.

On a completely separate note, I forgot to mention that I received my "I am a Runner" bracelet from the fabulous folks over at Runners' Lounge. It came in the mail on Saturday, and I am so excited. The Hubs thinks it's kind of silly, but I am wearing it with pride- because I am, in fact, a runner. For any of you that run (or even if you don't), I would recommend heading on over to Runners' Lounge and checking it out. It's such a great site, with great resources, and I love Tom and Amy's blog.

Well, I gotta wrap this up because I'm only working a half-day today before I head to the waterpark- yippee! But I don't know how much fun and sun we'll actually have, because it's pretty dark and cloudy outside right now, and there's a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms (boo!). Oh well, at least I get out of work (wahoo for paid time off!).


6 comments:

Tammy said...

Good luck with the new schedule... I've been working 7am-6pm lately myself. UGH!

RooBabs said...

Yikes, Tammy! No wonder you barely have time to do any running other than races. I shall now go off and count my blessings. I am thankful for an 8-hour day...I am thankful for flexible schedules...I am thankful- well, you get the idea. = )

Anonymous said...

man I can barely take the ATX heat lately either.

(and love the bracelet idea as you can see on my site. I NEED touchstones like that or my bandanna to keep me moving forward in ALL ASPECTS of life!)

Miz.

Anonymous said...

"I will be working 9:30-6:00 and will be running in the morning when it's nice and cool."

Morning is the only time to run when it is the middle of summer. Well, then and evening. ;-)

Viv said...

Hope you have a great time at the water park. I hope the new schedule works out for you running.That way when you get home as well you are done with your workouts, that has to be a cool feeling.

RooBabs said...

John- I agree. That's why I love my Saturday morning runs so much (and go so much longer than at other times). Unfortunately, as of late it has still been super hot in the evenings (like 90), hence the need for a change.

Viv- thanks. I'll be updating on the waterpark shortly. And you're absolutely right about it feeling so good to get it done early.