Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!

Okay, I know it's just a Utah holiday, but for anyone who needs an excuse to celebrate, know that your peeps out here in Utah are livin' it up with parades, fireworks and BBQ's (yes, it's kind of like we have the 4th of July twice). So feel free to party along with us.

Even though it is a state holiday, I am at work. That's because my company is headquartered in Atlanta, and they don't care about our piddly state holiday, only federal ones (but not all of them- we don't get President's Day or Columbus Day off, however the day after Thanksgiving is a company holiday- go figure). Since I don't have big plans for today, and because it's Pay Day (boo), I figured I may as well drag my butt in to work, and hand out checks. The Hubs doesn't have to work, so he will be at home by himself, sleeping in and causing all kinds of mayhem. He claims that he's going to mow the lawn, but it's supposed to be 97 degrees today, and by the time he wakes up at noon, it's going to be really hot.

I am wishing that I was home still asleep, because it was a late night last night. The Hubs and I went to another RSL soccer game, with fireworks afterward. We were able to get free tickets again, but not in the suite. When I went to the JDRF kick-off luncheon (see here), they gave out vouchers to get tickets to any game. They only gave out one per person, but a lady in our group didn't want her voucher, so she gave it to me. Sweet! I love free tickets! The game wasn't a regular MLS game, but it was a "friendly" against a team from Costa Rica. The whole first half was pretty boring, but the second half got pretty exciting because Costa Rica went up by 2 goals. Then there was a fight and 2 players were given red cards and ejected. We actually scored around the 85th minute (there are only 90 minutes in a game), but ended up losing 2-1. That's technically our first home loss of the season (not that the team is that good, it's just that they tie a lot, and save all their losses for away games- then again, they are the #1 team in the Western Conference).

Yesterday morning I had a good run. I wanted to go at least 4 miles, and depending on how my knee felt, maybe a little farther. I headed out on my new route again, but I was having problems with my bun. Normally I have my hair in either a ponytail or a braid, because it's so long, it doesn't do much else. But I've heard rumors that a bun is the way to go to avoid a tangled ponytail. I didn't think it would work in my hair, because it's so fine, but somehow I got it to work on Tuesday. But I did it a little different yesterday and it was slipping out by the first mile. So I had to stop and fix all my bobby pins. but after that it was fine. I cruised once again on the downhill, but because it's so steep, once I turn the corner and head on the flat stretch it seems almost like uphill. On my other loop, the downhill is more stretched out, and the descent is much more gradual. But oh well.

To lengthen the route, I kept going straight instead of heading up hill toward home, so the loop was longer. Once I did head uphill, I was thinking I would cool down and call it a day. But I was feeling pretty good, so at the top of the hill, I decided to cut over to the cemetery and do a lap. I kept changing my mind on my cool-down, because I would slow down and walk for a bit, then get the urge to keep going. I probably shouldn't have pushed it, but it just felt so good to run. I ended up going just over 5 miles, and there was not a twinge of knee pain until the very end, right before I decided for good that I was going to do my cool-down. Due to the late night last night, and coming in earlier to work today for Pay Day (8:00 instead of 9:30), I planned for today to be a rest day. However, I might do some strength training when I get home.

Tomorrow will be a short run, then Saturday will be a little longer, probably around 5 miles again. Can I just tell you that I am so happy to be running again? And although working late really sucks, I will probably stick with this schedule for a little while. I really like running in the morning (which is weird, because I used to hate exercising in the morning- I would always get really stuffy and feel like I couldn't give a full effort). Then again, I don't mind running after work either, as long as it's not too hot. I'm looking forward to building up to longer distances. Especially since I have my virtual 10k coming up at the end of August. I'm also thinking about signing up for a real-live 10k on Sep 13, in the town where I graduated from high school. I don't really think of it as my home-town, because my parents moved there at the end of my sophomore year. Then I moved out when I was 17 to head off to college. About 6 years ago my parents moved again, just one town south. So, I'm not really attached geographically anymore, but it would be kind of fun to go back to my old stomping grounds and do a race. But I haven't decided for sure yet.

5 comments:

P.O.M. said...

Any excuse to party - count me in.

Regarding the bun, I tie mine in a knot then wrap a rubber band or two around it as many times as possible. Then throw a hat over it. It has stayed in for my long runs.

Good luck. Have a fun weekend.

Robin said...

Great job on all the running. I am still struggling to get there. (Damn cold.)

I have a question. I know your soccer team is called Real Salt Lake. What does that mean? I hope it's not a stupid question, but I wonder every time I see the name. Our team is the Houston Dynamo, and that makes sense. I just don't understand Real Salt Lake. Thanks!

RooBabs said...

Robin- I was going to try and explain, but to make sure that I was accurate, I checked Wikipedia, and this is what they say (so much more succinctly than I ever could).


"The word real in the team's name is derived from the Spanish language. It is traditionally used in the names of certain Spanish soccer clubs such as Real Madrid that play in La Liga. It is roughly pronounced ray-al, with the accent on the al. It is translated into English as "royal".

Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy and Chris Bevilacqua, chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, Real Madrid, as well as to develop a brand that was clearly associated with Football."


Regarding the affiliation with Real Madrid, they played a "friendly" with them (I think in 2005 or maybe 2006) when David Beckham still played for them. The Hubs and I got tickets (not free, unfortunately- we had to pay big bucks), and it was totally fun. Plus I have pictures of The Hottie himself- maybe I'll post them sometime.

Hope that clears things up. = )

Robin said...

Haha, thanks! It never occured to me that it was rey-al. I was always thinking it was real as in genuine. Like they were saying were the Real Salt Lake as opposed to the Fake Salt Lake. hehe

Thanks for clearing that up.

Viv said...

Glad the running with the new schedule is working out. sucks working late but you are getting some great runs in. The bun is the only way i go to not get a birds nest which is still possible with me even with a bun.