Well, today is the day. It's the final day of the 30-Day Ab Challenge, and therefore time to post before-and-after's. But first, I must give a disclaimer. I am fully aware that in my before pictures my stomach is already flat (I'm sure plenty of you have already scrolled down to see the pics before you started reading- don't deny it, LOL). Some of you may be thinking- why even do an ab challenge? So let me explain.
In my first post about the challenge, I mentioned that I had been having a lot of lower back pain, and also that I thought it would be good for my running to strengthen my core. Because I have a naturally small waist, ab work is usually something that I neglect, and I think I was starting to pay the price. Sure my legs were strong from running, but the rest of my body was so weak and squishy (for lack of a more technical term). I used to be much more diligent with strength training, but since I ended "Making the Cut" (Jillian Michael's book) back in March, I have been a major slacker. So I figured a public challenge would be a great way to give myself a kick in the pants, and to give other people the opportunity to get involved.
Let me talk a little about my experience. I committed to doing 3 ab workouts a week for the duration of the challenge. I was successful in all but one week, where I only completed 2 workouts. But overall, I think I was consistent, and it's becoming more of a habit. Most of the time, I just did a routine of different kinds of crunches, but a few times I popped in a video (I had a couple that I forgot about). I probably could should have spent more time on each workout, but I was more worried about frequency (of workouts) and quality, and not as much on the quantity (of time). So I always focused on proper form and breathing, and made sure to do a good stretch afterward.
I have definitely noticed an improvement in my strength. I should have done a plank test or something, to see how long I could hold it at the beginning, and how long I can hold it now, but I didn't think about that a month ago. But I can tell a difference when I'm doing crunches; they feel "easier" and I can do more of them before I get that tight, painful feeling that says "stop, stop, please don't do any more crunches until you take a rest!". My lower back pain has definitely decreased, and even my posture seems a little better. My weight isn't really any lower (in fact, it's probably up a tad), and my waist measurement is the same, but I wasn't expecting results in those areas. I was hoping more for the non-visual results. When I took my pictures this morning, I couldn't really tell too much of a difference- maybe a tiny bit more definition on the sides.
Here are the 2 "before" pictures:
And here are the "after" pictures:
(Yeah, I know it's hard to even see any difference, so I did a side-by-side comparison below)
Here are the side-by-side comparisons ("before" on the left, "after" on the right).
I realize now that the (side view) "after" picture is less zoomed-in than the "before" picture, so it's hard to get an accurate comparison. However, you may notice that I have significantly more definition in my tricep in the second picture. This could be because of the occasional strength training that I've been doing (once or twice a week), or it could be because I'm trying to use my arms more in my running, to propel me up hills (or a combination of both- either way I was pretty stoked about that).
So what comes next? For me, I definitely plan to continue my ab workouts, and maybe I will even make it a priority to increase the time I spend on them (now that it's more of a routine). Maybe I'll even post another "after" picture in a month (we'll see about that- anyone else in?) I also want to try to do more of a regular strength training routine (I need to build muscle to burn more calories!!). Heck, I may even try the Hundred Push-up Challenge (once upon a time I could do a lot of push-ups; maybe not 100, but I was pretty tough).
Also, I will continue with my running, and try to increase my distances (now that I have a fabulous knee strap that keeps the pain in check). I don't have any races planned anytime soon, but I would like to do a half-marathon next (and of course continue to improve my 5k and 10k times). There won't be any around here until next spring (that I know of, anyway) but I won't exclude the possibility of traveling somewhere warmer to do a winter race. And just because I don't have a race scheduled, doesn't mean I can't train for that distance, right? I'm just afraid to commit to anything since I'm hoping I'll get pregnant soon. I'm not too worried about it yet, but I am getting anxious about my expected delivery date if it takes too much longer (i.e. if I got pregnant this month, my delivery date would be the beginning of June- I don't want to be pregnant all summer long, you know?)
I'm a little nervous because I'm thinking about when to go back to my earlier work schedule. It has still been in the 80's, so I definitely need to wait a bit longer (I totally love warm Septembers, so no rush!) I have really come to love my morning runs, and it is nice to have it done first thing in the day. But I still really hate being at work until 6:00 p.m. (when I was used to getting out of here at 3:30). Plus, I don't think the Hubs likes me getting home so late, and since it's my job to make dinner, we end up eating really late (usually after 8:00, which sucks!!). Another thing I was thinking about, is that when I start running after work, that means I'll be doing 2 showers a day (I don't wash my hair, I usually just jump in a rinse off really quick). But it's getting darker and darker in the mornings, so I will feel safer running in the afternoon when it's light outside (this morning I headed out at about 6:15, and it was barely starting to get light when I was almost home). I guess I'll just have to see how it ends up.
Before I wrap things up, I have to confess that I have been really grouchy this week. Part of it is because I haven't felt very well due to allergies, and part of it could be hormonal, I guess, but I feel kind of bad. I feel like a total slug. Plus my eating has been pretty crappy. I didn't run Monday morning because I was exhausted (but I did my abs- I wasn't lying about that!). Tuesday morning I did a super-short run (barely 3 miles). Yesterday I did abs and a short elliptical workout. This morning I was finally feeling back to normal, and did a full 4 miles (in the dark, even, and on PayDay, no less). Tomorrow morning I will not be running because I am coming in to work at 8:00. I will be helping out at the YWCA luncheon at the Grand America, and the HR manager is taking us out to lunch afterward. I will try to fit in a decent run on Saturday even though I will be staying at my in-law's down in Provo, because the Hubs and I are going to the BYU game with his dad. But I guess I'll get more into the weekend plans tomorrow.
I guess that's (finally) it for today. And because I've already posted about a billion pictures this week, I'll forgo the Random Photo of the Week. But it will be back next week, and hopefully it will be something good.

19 comments:
Um... WOW!!! Look at that definition in your upper abs. Great job girl!! *okay, so i didn't complete the challenge and i said I would... but that's why my abs don't look like that either :)
Okay so I have to confess that I totally didn't do this challenge so I am NOT posting any pictures. I am a TOTAL SLACKER!!!
BTW - I didn't realize that you are trying to get pregnant . . . .we may have something else in common pretty soon!
Ummmm....I'll take your "before" tummy ANY DAY! lol.... You look fabulous!
Wow, how did I miss out on this challenge! Nice work, girl! Your abs look fab and I can totally see progress in there:) Thanks for adding me to your 'roll. Nice to meet another LDS fit girl!
I will post my weight update when i get a free minute. This week has been rather stressfull and quite annoying. My good day only lasted Monday.. The rest of the week has been, well lets say hell. I'll have more time to devote to blogging Sunday afternoon. I promise it will be up by Sunday night!
If you wanna send me an email or let me know your email address i'll tell you abut my template and explain it all. I love it. Its so fun and they have SO many to choose from. I honestly spent hours trying to pic. My picture blog has a new template too & its much more fun than stupid boring colors!
Great job with the challenge. I'm up for any kind of virtual group activity. If you come up with a neat idea, i'm game. I bet we can put our heads together and think of something!
um DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG?
the before AND the after are pretty fabulous (who knew? I must have missed any pics you posted before)
have a great weekend.
love,
Miz., who is definitely NOT working to get pregnant and is so excited for you!
Whooo hoooo! You look amazing!!
Good luck on the baby front.
I see the definition!!
(and I actually read it all before scrolling down! Seriously!!)
;)
Nice work!!
Um...holy flat abs!? You look great!
My 4 week progress is probably more due to running then ab work, but I did do an average of two ab workouts per week so that's something I guess!
Since Aug 18th I lost 3/4" from my waist, and one full inch around my hip/'belly'. Not too shabby - I will definitely keep it up though!
I have to confess, I was in the challenge- did well on week 1 and 2, and then I failed miserably...
*sigh!*
You look great, though!
Nice job on the ab challenge. I wish I had any abs right now. I remember when I was doing the math of when I'd be pregnant and due that I figured I'd never be able to run any races this fall. But I feel great! I wanted to sign up for them anyway and see how I was feeling and at least for this weekend, I'm pumped! Don't commit but maybe those early on ones - those should be fine! But also I think I'm really lucky and have had no morning sickness or issues.
*wolf whistle* wow! Those results are amazing. I think my ab challenge is going to be through the plastic surgeon. I have no ab muscles after several surgeries.
Hey, I can see your definition.
It took me a couple of days to find the Before pics, but I did manage to get them up over on my blog.
I'm going to stick with the routine that I've been doing for the last month because it's comfortable and varied enough so it doesn't become boring or too fatiguing. The hardest part for me is not the ab exercises, it's finding time for good cardio after work.
So, when's the next challenge?
Way to stick with it and see the results. The tris look great too.
Way to stick with it and see the results. The tris look greaat too.
Looks like good progress! Great job!
Kiki- Thanks! No worries about not completing the challenge. I forgive you. = )
Jennifer- Same to you: you're forgiven. Sooo, are you already pregnant, or just trying, like me? ; )
Marcie- Thanks, girl!
Charlotte- Thanks- I'm glad you can see the very subtle difference, LOL.
Nicole- Thanks. I'll be thinking on the next challenge. I need some kind of carrot on that stick.
MizFit- Thanks. The only "before" pictures that I had posted were the waaay before pics on my honeymoon, so you didn't miss anything. And thanks for the trying-to-get-pregnant excitedness.
Robin- Thank you and thank you.
Steve- Thanks for your honesty. = )
Cyndi- Your progress is great, and running definitely helps the abs (it's sort of a two-way street there, right? They each benefit the other). Glad you're going to keep it up.
Tammy- It's okay. Two weeks is better than nothing- and thanks!
N.D.- It's so encouraging to read your journey and realize that it's still possible to run a lot when you're pregnant (well, if you already have a base, that is). I will soon be checking for your race report.
Carly- Thanks for the whistle, LOL. Sorry about your abs and surgeries. But hey, I've seen them do great things via plastic surgery, so if you're up for going under the knife... = )
Tom- Congrats! Glad you found the pics and that your routine is working. It's tough to find time for the cardio, because it takes a lot longer than working the abs- haha. Not sure when the next challenge will be, but I'll keep you in the loop. = )
D10- Thanks!
Mark- Thanks!
WOW chickie I can totally see the differece! WTFG!!
Viv- Thanks so much!
Post a Comment