We had a beautiful outdoor ceremony, which was almost rained out. The weather for 2 weeks preceding was pretty hot and in the 80's, but the forecast showed rain on our big day. Sometime mid-morning it started coming down, and while we were having our big family luncheon it was pouring (just in case you were wondering, we didn't rent out some fancy hotel ballroom or do any kind of catering, we just all piled into Chuck-A-Rama, which is a buffet restaurant; but it worked out really well, and I didn't have a problem with it- besides, my father-in-law was paying for it, since it was kind of a substitute for our rehearsal dinner). The rain stopped right before we finished lunch and the sun came out. There was a light breeze the rest of the evening. It turned out to be perfect (and not too hot).
My (pregnant) sister was my matron of honor, and all of our brothers and sisters (and their spouses) were part of the wedding party (in matching dresses and tuxes). I had picked the classic Pachelbel's Canon as my wedding march music, and the Hubs wanted to have his own music. So he walked down the aisle to the "Imperial March" from Star Wars- LOL. Let me tell ya, that definitely got everyone's attention. Although most everything was fairly traditional, we did have a non-traditional first dance as a couple. It was one of my favorite parts of the whole day, and I'm so glad we ended up doing it because we almost didn't. It was the Hubs' idea (he's the idea man in the family, and I'm in charge of details and execution). We wanted to choreograph our first dance as a sort of performance. We didn't take dance lessons, but we had our routine all set. We picked our song as Etta James "At Last" (which was funny, because at the time it was running in Fancy Feast cat food commercials).
But anyway, one of my good friends was our DJ, so we had him do a special mix of our song. We had about a minute and a half of our song play, where we did some fancy partner stuff (a big dip at the beginning and some twirls and whatever). Then we had him cut to another song- but he had this great idea to transition with a record scratch. So picture the Hubs in his tux with tails, me in my strapless dress with long satin gloves and there's a record scratch in the middle of our song. We played it out to look shocked and started backing away from each other looking a little caught off guard, all while the music switches to "Thriller". While the intro is going, the Hubs pulls a white (golf) glove out of his pocket and starts putting it on, and right at the big climax of the beginning of the song, he throws one hand up in the air (a la Michael Jackson). Then we walk toward each other and bust into about 30 seconds of the Thriller dance. The best part is, no one really knew what we were going to do, so it was hilarious to see the crowd reaction (a couple of his brothers knew, and of course our DJ knew, but otherwise it was a surprise). So how many people do you know that danced Thriller at their wedding? LOL
I wish we had pictures from it, because it was so funny. We have the whole thing on our wedding DVD, but I'm not techno-savvy, so I don't know if there's a way to pull that clip from the video and put it online (if anyone has suggestions, please let me know, and I would be more than happy to post it here- can you do that on YouTube? I have no idea). I don't even have any regular wedding pictures here at work (they're on a disc at home), so I'll post some later- probably not tonight, but eventually. We had originally planned to just go out to dinner, but the Hubs decided he wanted to see a movie, too. So we're going to get sushi and to see "House Bunny". What a wild and crazy anniversary celebration. It's a little tame compared to the last two years, but it will be nice. Last year we went back to Disney World, and the year before that we took a road trip to California and did 2 days at Six Flagg's Magic Mountain (a few days after the anniversary day football game, that is). This year we decided we didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a trip since we're working on getting the patio done for the hot tub (plus buying the hot tub). Although we came pretty close to heading out to Minneapolis to see a Vikings game- I even had the hotel booked.
By the way, I'm still planning to post the other half of my weekend recap (all the fun stuff we did at the fair, plus the football game and the birthday party). I'll probably do it tomorrow, since I won't have much else to write about. This morning I went out for a run, and it was really warm- it was so weird. Yesterday was 57 degrees and this morning was 72! But a storm was rolling in, so I guess it was "the warm before the storm". I don't know if it has rained yet, but it's been pretty dark and cloudy all day. I think we're supposed to have more rain tomorrow, but then it clears up for the weekend- luckily. Anyway, my run was just over 4 miles in about 41 minutes (including warm-up and cool-down). The knee strap worked well, but it felt like it was slipping a little (because of all the sweat maybe?). But no pain, so that's the main thing. My hamstrings and hips are still tight, but I've been trying to stretch them a little throughout the day. Plus I put some (unscented) muscle rub on them this morning before I got dressed.
So happy Tuesday everyone, and seriously, if you have any video tips for me, send them my way. It will be well worth it to actually be able to see the ridiculum (it's a family word) of our dance.

7 comments:
Happy anniversary!! ours just passed in June! We had been dating 3 years when we got engaged and then we were engaged a year and a half (forever!) my lord was it long! sounds like a lovely day! Congrats on 3 years!
Happy anniversary! I love cute wedding ceremonies! I wanna walk down the asile to Canon too. I've been dating my boyfriend for almost 7 years! Crazy huh? So many people are like OMG. But were happy & things are great :)
I totally love the idea of your first dance. Its funny you did that becuase the other day at work we were watching a video on you tube of a couple do a mix tape to a bunch of different songs as their frist dance. Thriller was apart of it too. It looks like alot of fun! I would love to see the video if you could post it! I'm sure its like posting a picture but i've never done it so its new to me! Good luck! And happy anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!! Have a great one...
Happy anniversary :) I have to say that I'm picturing your first dance to Thriller like the dance in 13 going on 30. Love that movie!!
Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a fabulous wedding. Loved the first dance story that is great.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
(late I know...let's pretend Im not :))
hope it was a funlovingrelaxing day.
N.D.- Congrats to you! And thanks. And that is a long time to be engaged.
Nicole- Wow, 7 years! That does sound crazy, but if it works and it's what you both want, then more power to you. = )
Lance- Thanks!!
Kiki- So funny that you say that, because we actually watched that part of the movie to try and learn the moves (along with the actual Thriller video). I love that movie, too, and now I want to go watch it, ha ha.
Carly- Thanks, it was lovely, and it's so fun to reminisce (and to see how skinny and tan I was, LOL).
MizFit- You're not too late- it's never too late to send well-wishes (IMO, anyway). Thanks!
Post a Comment