Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An Attitude of Gratitude

Okay, I got sucked in. Today, MizFit posted all about gratitude, and instead of hogging all of her comment space with my rambles, I decided to write an entire post about the same topic (for which she is *grateful* I'm sure).

First of all, I have to admit that there are times when I am not grateful enough for all that I have in my life. Then I get whacked upside the head and am reminded that I have been given so much, and I shouldn't take it for granted. I will say that I have become much better at this then I was a few years ago. I am a worrier by nature, as well as a perfectionist, so when you put that together it makes for someone who is constantly trying to prevent the sky from falling and of course, my way is the only "right" way. However, after battling a nasty (and somewhat debilitating) bout of depression and anxiety back in 2004, I try to look for that proverbial silver lining much more often.

Back then I started a gratitude journal. I wrote in it for a while, but then it became a non-documented pursuit, where anytime I felt overwhelmed, or stressed out, or that life sucked, I would try to turn it around and start making a list in my head of anything I could think of to be grateful for. I still have that journal, but I haven't written in it for a long time, so I think I will pull it back out and revive the habit of writing once a week or so. That way, when times are rough, I can open it and read it to get that reminder (minus the "whack on the head"). It always amazes me once I get going, how many things I can think of.

I've also tried to do something similar when I have any type of pain or injury and can't run. Instead of throwing a pity party, I think of the positives. I think about what I can do, rather than what I can't do. And while I still hate it when I can't run, it makes me feel better. Something else that I've done, is to be grateful for my health and my body. Did any of you read Shosh's post about the triathlon she volunteered at over the weekend? Well, if not, you need to head over there ASAP and read about her experience. Focus on what you have, rather than what you don't have, and you'll be amazed at the results!

I am a firm believer that attitude makes a huge difference in how we perceive life and how we remember our experiences. Yesterday at work, I overheard two women talking to each other. One woman was saying how glad she was that her chemotherapy was over, and the other lady was commenting about how positive she has been through the whole situation, and still coming to work and being so friendly. The first lady mentioned that she tried to keep a positive attitude and even the doctors and nurses have said that it can really make a difference in the cancer treatment. I fully agree with this. And while a positive attitude may not cure all diseases, I know it can help. I also believe that negativity is a huge factor in a lot of illnesses and can manifest itself physically.

There is another lady at work, when you ask her how she's doing, she will always answer something like "fantastic" or "great" or "excellent". Never just "okay", or "fine" or "good". I'm sure her life isn't perfect, but she chooses to convey an attitude of positivity. And I always look forward to passing by to hear her reply, because it feels good to hear such an uplifting reply.

Here is a list of a few of the things for which I am grateful:

I am thankful for my husband and my family. I am so happy to be married, and to be at a point where I am ready to have kids of my own (for a long time I didn't think I would ever be ready, so this is a big deal). I am blessed to have a husband who loves me, and loves to surprise me, and who is so practical and knowledgeable about finance (especially these days). I am grateful to have a partner with which to experience this crazy roller-coaster of life.

I am so lucky to live close to most of my family, and up until just last month, all of my siblings lived within 30 minutes of me (now my brother is in Denver, which is still within driving distance). I am so lucky to have an awesome grandma who also lives close by. I am grateful to have close a close relationship with my family, and that we all get along. When I was growing up, I fought so much with my sister that's just younger than me, and as a teenager I fought a lot with my mom, so I am happy that I am past that now and that we are so close. In fact, that same sister also experienced horrible anxiety, and she was one of the people that helped me the most when I was going through it. I am also grateful to be part of a big family, and that the Hubs' family is also big. I am very lucky to have in-laws that love me and welcomed me into their family with open arms.

I am grateful to be a home-owner, and for the great neighborhood we live in. Sure, it's farther away from where we work than we would prefer, but there are so many good things about it. I am grateful for my new oven (and that we had the means to purchase it when needed), and for the cooking and baking skills that I learned growing up. I am so blessed to have automatic sprinklers and central air-conditioning. I am grateful to have a full-time job working with great people, and great medical benefits, and 4 weeks of paid vacation every year! I am grateful to have a car that runs well, and has a CD player and air-conditioning (even if it is 11 years old), because when I was growing up, we didn't always have a car and the ones we did have didn't always run very well.

I am grateful for my health, and for the ability to run, and for the progress that I've made. I'm grateful for my education, and for the travel experiences that I've had. I am grateful for my sense of direction and the ability to read a map (I'm still amazed that not everyone can do this). See what I mean, once I get going, I can't stop. But you get the idea. 

I think that for the next 30 days, I will commit to writing one thing each day that I'm grateful for. I'll write it in my gratitude journal (because I don't blog every day- much as I would like to, I don't always have time to sit at the computer), but I'll add it here when I do post. Anyone else in for the Gratitude Challenge?

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Count me in! I am grateful for so many things... sadly, sometimes i take them for granted. I would like to think i'm positive but my attitude could use some work!

Anonymous said...

Im in!
Im in!
Im in!

tonight? Im grateful I have a toddler who is feisty enough that she wants to go from crib to big bed to crib to big bed all in the s
I love that she is assertive and has an opinion and isnt wishywashy goalonggetalong.

Miz.

Anonymous said...

COUNT ME IN and thank you for linking to my blog. :-) It's amazing how easy it is to fall into that woe is me attitude until you see someone who grabs life by the horns no matter what is thrown at them.

Thanks again for the shout out. :-)

Lance said...

We can't have too much gratitude in our life, right? Count me in...

Today, I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to read books with my children tonight. It was bonding time, and it was special.

Cyndi said...

I'm in too! I had gratitude on the brain all day yesterday after catching up on my blog reading. It's contagious!

I am grateful for my family - my husband, and wonderful 3 kids. As hectic and crazy as life can get sometimes, they are just simply always 'there' - a contant presence in my life that provides purpose, comfort and unconditional love each and every day!

Tammy said...

I am grateful for my fabulous family and friends.

I am grateful for the exceptional opportunities I've had in my current job.

RooBabs said...

Nicole- I'm with you, and I figure a 30-Day "workout" will help my attitude.

MizFit- Awesome! Way to find that silver lining.

Shosh- You're welcome. It was so touching, I had to spread it around.

Lance- So true, impossible to have too much gratitude. It's nice to know that parents still read with/to their kids.

Cyndi- I know. I was blown away by how much I've come across it in the last few days- so I couldn't ignore it. Families are great, aren't they?

Tammy- Those are great things to be thankful for (and a good positive spin on those long hectic work days during the summer, eh?)

Hazel said...

I'm in too! I think positive thinking definitely makes a difference and I've been lacking that lately. I have a lot of things to be grateful for but tend to concentrate on the negative.

Today, I'm grateful for my husband. He's always supportive and listens to me yap all the time.

RooBabs said...

C- I know; it definitely takes a conscious effort to shift our focus, but it's so worth it. I'm glad that your husband is so supportive, because it can make such a difference. = )

Alex said...

when i was in therapy a few years ago suffering from depression, my therapist told me write down 5 good things about my day each night before bed. doing that made me focus on all the good things that had happened, rather than dwell on the not so good things. it worked and helped me feel better about myself. like you, it sounds like i should start this practice again.

good luck!