Friday, September 12, 2008

Ready, Set, Go!

All right folks, the countdown has begun. I picked up my race packet/goody bag/shirt after work, I've done my carb-loading (leftover pizza and a big salad with ranch dressing and croutons- mmmmm), and now I just need to set out everything I need for tomorrow. I made sure to drink lots of water today. I think I downed about 64 oz. before I left work at 4:00 (yes, that's early, but I had to pick up my packet before 6:00, and there is mad traffic heading north of SLC). Then when I got home, and while eating dinner, I downed another 24 oz. I think I'd better stop or I'll have to wake up to pee (and I really, really hate having my sleep interrupted).

After I picked up my schwag bag, I drove the race route. Although I went to high school in Layton, I haven't been up that way for a long time (years probably), and part of it was completely unfamiliar. I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the course is either flat (or close to it) or downhill. There are a couple of spots in the first half where it's uphill for a short distance, and one spot between miles 4 and 5 where it dips down and then up for a bit, but since they are for short distances, I can totally handle it. I have a really good feeling about this race, and as long as everything else goes well, I'm pretty sure I can go under 58:00 (especially with race-day endorphins flowing).

Plus my parents are going to be there (at the start and finish, which are almost the same place), so I'll be all gung ho to finish strong (and hopefully they can get some good action pics). I think it's going to be a good time, even though I won't have a buddy to start out with. And I've been debating- I think I'm gonna have to put on a little bit of make-up, just in case I see anyone from high school that I haven't seen since high school. There's always that possibility. And although I would like to be skinnier, the fact is that I'm only about 4 or 5 pounds more than when I graduated from high school (sure I have a lot less muscle, but my size wouldn't be shocking- you know, like, "oh my gosh, she's gained so much weight since then, can you believe it?").

Hey, give me a break, I was a total chubster at my 5-year reunion, so I want to make a good impression if the chance comes up. Although I didn't go to the reunion of the high school I graduated from, I went to the reunion of the HS where I went most of my sophomore year, who were people that I had grown up with for the first 15 years of my life. We moved to Layton in April of my sophomore year (yes, it was rough, but that's a post for another day- this is all about positive vibes, not depressing memories).

Oh, I wanted to say that my goody bag had some seriously good stuff in it. First of all, the shirt is killer. It's a long sleeve technical T, and it's bright yellow with gray trim. Plus it has a zipper pocket on the side- how cool (and totally worth the $30 entry fee)! There was also 4 Power Bars (the Energize kind in Creamy Citrus Fruit Smoothie flavor- the same kind they handed out at my 5k in July and they don't taste too bad), plus a $5 gift certificate to Burger Stop- a local burger joint with really good fries, a sports water bottle, a miniature first aid kit (band-aids basically), a thermometer (a hospital is one of the sponsors), and a hackey sack (not sure what that's for, but I'm thinking maybe foot relief, like the rolling the golf ball trick?). Plus there are other random stickers and coupons. A pretty good haul if you ask me.

Plus I bought some new socks- 2 different kinds. One is made from Coolmax and is 97% polyester, so they would prevent the hot feet problem that I had last time, and help to wick away any moisture. However, they're a lot thinner than what I'm used to (and may leave too much wiggle room in my shoes- I'll have to try them on). The other pair are similar to what I usually wear, except that they have arch support and extra cushioning on the soles. But they're 69% cotton. I'll try them both and take the other one with me in case I change my mind.

And, I will be able to see much more clearly on the race, because I picked up my new contacts today. I am so glad that they came in, because it really sucks that everything has become so blurry. I am extremely nearsighted. For anyone who is familiar with contact lens measurements, my left eye measurement changed by one whole point, plus the astigmatism in both eyes is slightly worse. So I went from a -3.25/-1.25 in my right eye and -1.75/-1.25 in my left eye, to -3.25/-1.75 in my right eye and -2.75/-1.75 in my left eye (the number on the right of the slash is the measure of the astigmatism). So in total, I went from -4.5 and -3 (in my right and left eyes) to -5.0 and -4.5, respectively. Yikes!

Well, it's past my bedtime, so I'm signing off for now. Good luck to everyone else who is racing this weekend. I'll post a full report as soon as I can.

P.S. Have I mentioned that 13 has always been a lucky number for me, so how fitting that this race is on the 13th!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck today. I bet before running/races you did not out that much thought into socks. LOL...seriously.

Sounds like a good bag of goodies. And you KNOW I will be waiting for a race report. Love those.

kikimonster said...

I'll be thinking of you today! Hope it all goes well! Can't wait to hear about it!

Tammy said...

GOOD LUCK!!

Tom Accuosti said...

Break a leg!

Er... uh...

Roni said...

Hope it went well!

Kevin Westbrook said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind comments about my blog. I really like yours too. Can't wait to see your results from your race. I hope all went well!

Nicole said...

I hope you did well in your race! I can't wait to read all about it!

Melanie said...

Can't wait to read about your race! 13 is a lucky number for me, too, because I was born on a Friday the 13th! Hope it worked out well for you like it always seems to for me.

Anonymous said...

checking in...cant wait to hear.

Miz.

Anonymous said...

prolixpear.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading prolixpear.blogspot.com every day.
fast cash
online payday loans

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Thank you against sharing. Undoubtedly value my time.