Even though it's PayDay and I had to be to work earlier, and even though I knew it would be dark, I decided that I had to run this morning, and not just flat laps around the park. I was a little nervous, because I don't really have the gear to run in the dark. My shoes are reflective and my new running capris are reflective on the sides (yes I forgot to mention that I bought them last weekend at the Nike outlet up in Park City- I love them!), but other than that, I just made sure to wear a light-colored top. But I was also worried about sidewalk cracks and sprinklers. It was pretty chilly this morning (low 50's), but it was nice, especially once the blood was pumping. I headed out on my regular 4-mile loop. About 10 or 12 minutes into the run it started getting light, so it eased my fears. But I wasn't sure what to expect with the run itself. I did my usual 5-min warm-up of brisk walking, then changed to running. It was weird how as soon as I started running, that old, familiar (comfortable) feeling came back.
I won't lie and say that the run was easy, because it was still pretty rough. I started a bit too fast, so my breathing was kind of labored, my legs felt really heavy (although my feet felt great!), I didn't have any water so my mouth was really dry toward the end, and of course my knee was hurting. And yet, I still managed to run the whole way between warm-up and cool-down (about 3.5 miles). I really need to find some kind of strap/band to wear above my knee because I think it will help with the pain (especially for my races). I would order one online (Melanie recommended the PattStrap), but I definitely wouldn't get it in time for this Saturday. I checked a couple of stores and nobody had the right kind. I think they might have one at the running store by my house so hopefully I'll have time to check there tonight (my main conflict is that I have a eye appointment at 6:00 and the running store closes at 7:00). My run ended up being 4.12 mi in 41:45, so definitely not my fastest run, but not horrible either.
About the race on Saturday, I found someone to run it with me. Well, I'm pretty sure she's a faster runner than me, so we won't technically be running together, but we'll be going to the race together. She's the wife of a guy that works with the Hubs. I've only met her once before, but she's really nice. They're also trying to get pregnant, and she hooked me up with free prenatal vitamins. Tomorrow after work I'll be picking up our race packets. I'm excited because this will be my first officially timed race, with an actual timing chip.
Saturday night is our first home football game, and we might go to the State Fair (or maybe go another day, I don't know). We would have gone to the fair today, since it's only $2 on the first day, but I have my eye appointment, so that won't work (boo!). Either way, it will be a busy weekend.
So now for the Random Photo. This one is really random, and there's not really a story to go along with it. I just have to clarify, though, my hair is not short in this picture. The scarf is wrapped around my neck, with my hair underneath, so it just looks short. If you look closely at the picture, under my right arm, you can see stray strands of hair. I've had long hair since 1997 (can you say 'hair rut'?). The only time I've done more than trim it was last November when I cut 6 inches off, and it still goes to my waist. I was slightly traumatized by the experience, and won't be cutting my hair anytime soon (but it does need to be trimmed baaad!).
Anyway, the thing that I wanted to talk about in this picture is my husband's funny facial hair. He grows facial hair very easily (he gets 5 o'clock shadow by lunch time), so he experiments a lot. This picture is from Nov 2003 (wow, that was a long time ago), and it might have been right after we went to the monster truck show, but I'm not sure. The Hubs gets a kick out of doing new and different things with his facial hair, and I'm fine with that, because it makes me laugh. He usually pulls weird faces for pictures, too, but in this one he actually looks normal. Although I realized that he sort of looks chubby because of the way his shirt is bunched up- and he is sooo not. He was probably about 135 in that picture (and he's 5'9"!). He has broad shoulders, so it's very deceiving- he has really skinny legs (total opposite of my body, ha ha- I have narrow shoulders, and not-skinny legs).
I guess that's all for today. I swear there was something else I was going to write about, but it has escaped me, and this is long enough, so I'll just end it. BTW, I didn't have time to do abs this morning because of my run, so I'll do it tonight- you need to hold me to it!!! Please, I need your help! I'm supposed to be setting the example.
(Did anyone get the They Might Be Giants reference in the title?)

8 comments:
Yes of course I got the title reference (what did I win? A knee brace? Some reflective tape?)!
I also so appreciate your honesty. You writing about your fall running apprehension and the details of your run today. I'm such a new runner and really love reading about more than the elusive runners high.
xo xo,
Miz.
I've been struggling to get going on my runs too lately - but once I get started it's ok! I'm stuck on the treadmill lately but I'm still not ready to go run through the neighborhood!
I guess now would be a good time to confess that I have done NO abs this week at all! (tail between my legs). Just too busy I guess, and I always get the run done first! Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow....I WILL burn the abs tomorrow!
I sometimes have running struggles too. Running is a lot of work. Every once in a while, i'll sit and think about running and it sounds like a terrible idea. But then (lately) i guilt myself into it. The Nike+ has been a big help lately. I like the motivation its giving me. I love to get online and look at my runs too.
With your knee pain. When i was in highschool i had a lot of problems with my IT band due to a length difference in my legs. Its not much of a difference, maybe a centimeter, but enough to cause problems. Before i knew the pain was due to a leg length difference, i bought a band from a drug store. It was a velcro strap that pressure below my knee cap.
I'm not sure if thats where your pain is but go to a drug store and check out their selection of braces. It may not be what you need, but maybe & you would have it in time for your race! Hope this helps!
Good Luck!!
Sometimes working out is easier than others, we all go through that. You're out there and you're doing it and that's great!!
Good luck this weekend! It's nice to have someone at the race with you, even if you don't finish together you get to pal around first.
I too have done very little abs...I am ab challenge challenged. I have my trainer tomorrow(if NY does not float away) so I will certainly get them in.
It always takes a while to get back in the swing of things. I am sure if you push yourself out the door a few times things will feel better. Speaking of things feeling better, take care of your knee!
I think your hair would look cute short.
Miz- I figured out of anyone, you would get the reference, you pop culture queen, you! You win my adoration- or if you want, I could give you a dime, which is what the Hubs offers as a prize when we play the "guess-who-sings-this" game. Or if you really want, I could give you some runners high in a bottle... (if I was entrepreneurial in the least, I would market an energy drink called "Runner's High"- to everyone out there, feel free to steal the idea, just give me the credit (no money, just fame)).
Cyndi- The treadmill is all good. It used to be the only place I ever wanted to run (run outside? no way, it's too hot/cold/windy/sunny (whatever) plus I always get hives on my legs- and what happens if I run too far and can't get home?). Fond memories, but now I love the feeling of running outside and getting *fresh* air. About the abs- don't beat yourself up, just get back on the horse. You are one of the most consistent 'Challengers', so keep up the good work. Abs don't take much time- just do it!
Nicole- It's always nice to hear that other people struggle, too. And the Nike+ definitely helps my motivation. I love all the graphs and features and widgets, plus the goals and challenges are cool, too. I did finally get a band/strap, which will hopefully help. I also need to be more diligent about icing, but that problem is solved, too, now that I bought a reusable ice bag, that won't leak (unlike frozen peas or ice cubes in a Ziploc).
Shosh- Thanks. And it will be nice to have someone to pal around with before and after the race at the wellness expo. Good luck with not floating away- we had our bad weather last weekend, and this weekend is going to be fabulous (too bad it's not a 3-day, though). With the ab challenge, I figure it takes 21 days to start a habit, right, so I'm still in the process of solidifying the habit, and by the end we should be going strong!
D10- You're so right, and once I get started I usually feel pretty good. I will definitely take care of the knee, because I don't want to do anything that will prohibit me from being a lifelong runner. I'm hooked now. And thanks, about the hair- I feel like I look like I'm 12 when I have short hair, but maybe one day I'll get brave...
Just wanted to say what a great photo that is of you and your hubs. =)
Thanks Marcie!! = )
Post a Comment