Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tales of a WorryWart

Once again, our pal MizFit has written about something that is near and dear to my heart. So rather than polluting taking up her comment space with my rambles, I decided to blather on in my own space. Yesterday, her Monday Facetime was about worry. She mentioned a quote that I hadn’t heard before: “Worry is like praying for things you don’t want” (sorry if that’s not exact- I wrote it down but forgot to bring it with me, and I can’t access the video from the computer I’m using). It struck a chord with me, because I’m a recovering WorryWart (not healed, but in the process).

I’m a worrier from waaaay back. Even as a kid, I remember my mom constantly telling me, “90% of the things you worry about will never happen, so why waste your time and energy?” Because mom, I’m the oldest child and your typical Type A/OCD/Anal Retentive/Perfectionist. Worrying is in my DNA- or so I thought. When I was young I worried about weird stuff (like if my mom got too close to the curtains, she might suck them up into the vacuum) and not-so-weird stuff (like whether or not my siblings received equal portions, and that we were all treated fairly- read: equal punishment). I don’t even remember most of the stuff I worried about as a kid, most likely because it never did happen. As I got older, it became more focused on school- and achievement-related worry. I worried so much that it impacted my mental health.

In high school I started having panic attacks, so my mom made me see a counselor. I started taking an anti-depressant, which I continued for several years. It helped to stabilize things (though not always), but it didn't change my behaviors that were causing the problems (namely the worry and the stressing too much about things I couldn't control- that, and the procrastinating). Once I finished college, and got a decent job, I felt like I was ready to go off the medication. For a couple years things were going pretty well. I had a good group of friends, I was paying off my debt (credit card, collections and student loans), and I lost the weight that I gained the last 2 years of college.

However, at the end of 2003/beginning of 2004, I started to experience a lot of stress. I was back in school 12 hours a week, plus working full time, and I was in the middle of a huge job upheaval (my department was being outsourced to the Philippines, and I had to train my replacement, after which I would transfer to another department). Luckily, due to my schooling, I applied for, and was hired for a job in a different department at my company. But it was still stressful because I doubted my abilities, and was still bitter about "losing" my other job (even though it had nothing to do with my job performance- it was purely a cost-based decision).

In addition to that, my aunt that I lived with (my mom's older sister, who was a widow) was very sick and she passed away in September of 2004. Two days later I was in a car accident (not my fault), and while I was driving the rental car, I was rear-ended (2 accidents in less than a week). So while I was trying to process my grief, I also had to deal with insurance companies and worry about transportation to school and work. Needless to say, the depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance. I was a mess, and I could barely function (although I tried to keep it hidden from most people). I would wake up with knots in my stomach (and could never eat breakfast), and I cried all the time. Although I lost weight during this time, I still felt "fat" because I was jiggly all over (and very out of proportion). I went from about 123-125 lbs to less than 115. I had a gym membership and worked out a couple times a week, but I guess most of it was due to not eating as much. I couldn't, because I was too stressed out and worrying all the time.

So this is sort of an extreme example, but I believe that worry only serves to make stressful situations worse. I also believe that worry increases stress. My point of telling this story, is because the main things that helped me to overcome the anxiety were gratitude and forgiveness (myself and others). When you worry, you are focusing on what you don't have, or what might go wrong. Worry creates negative energy, and in regards to the law of attraction, it brings things into your life that you don't want. If you're focusing on all the things that might go wrong, chances are that some of those things will eventually happen. I don't think there is anything positive about engaging in worry.

With that said (written?), I believe that you can turn worry around, and make it positive. But first you have to determine if your worry is something you can change or impact, or if it's something out of your control. If it's out of your control, you have to let it go. If it's something you can control, to whatever degree, then you need to take action. For example, if you worry about whether a natural disaster will happen where you live, you can't control that, so you have to let it go. But if you're worried about how prepared you are if a natural disaster were to hit, you can take action. Have an emergency plan for your family, look up resources in your area, prepare supplies for your home. Figure out what you can do, so that you don't have to waste your time and energy worrying about it.

You have to get away from the negative and focus on the positive, and as you do that, you will notice that better things will start to happen in your life. Or you will realize that you already had good things in your life that you just didn't see before (because you were focused on everything you didn't have).

For a long time my justification for worry was that I like to feel prepared. But in trying to prepare for every possible scenario or problem that I might encounter, I just got all worked up and usually accomplished nothing (other than wasting perfectly good time). I learned that the best way to solve problems is to actually go through challenges, and become stronger for making it through it- not by trying really hard to prevent bad things from happening. To do this, you need to build up a support network of friends and family, try to be as healthy as possible, and be grateful for what you already have. Then when times get tough, you will already be in the habit of being grateful for what you have, and you can fall back on that. Plus, having that opposition will help you to appreciate the "good times" and maybe even see the trial as an opportunity for growth. And your support system can help provide a healthy perspective on things.

So that's why I jumped on the gratitude bandwagon. It can bring amazing changes in your life, and I challenge everyone to try not to worry so much and to focus on the things you are grateful for. See if it makes a difference in your life.

11 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm a WorryWart. About EVERYTHING. I too am the frist child and strangley i always worry about my mom sucking things up with the vacume. Especially curtains. I went through a lot of the same things in high school. Basically it messed with my running, which to this day i regret!

In practice i would run awesome splits. Splits for a sub 19 minute 5k. I would get all pumped up and do it in practice, but doing in a meet was impossible. I never did it. I got worried about my competitors, what others would think of me, how i would be treated, if people would be mad at me, i worried about EVERYTHING. After i graduated high school i actually stopped running for like 2years (which i regret) but i did it becuase i was so angry at how things ended. Instead of letting go and moving on, i worried more. It wasnt even just with running either.. it was school, friends, family, everyone and everything. Id freak out if something wasnt right. Once i graduated high school i realized i needed help and got it. I'm thankful for where i am, and have come a long way, but i sometimes i still worry.

(now i'm the rambling commenting worrier) :)

N.D. said...

Wow, I really can identify with this post. Being the oldest also like you, I've also been a worry wart. We were in a bad car accident memorial day in 2007, and I am a complete nut case driver now. I think everyone is going to hit me. I do think that it causes total stress and it is unnecessary. It is hard to let go of but I'll try some of your tips. I worry about random other stuff too, like when I call Bill 4 times and he doesn't answer (did he get in an accident?) and I start flipping out. It isn't worth it and I'm working on that!!

Anonymous said...

amazing post! I love how you took my little tidbit and ran with it.

nothing else to say as youve nailed it and Ive already rambled ;)

Thanks so much for sharingbaring all this.

M.

Viv said...

I am also a worry wart who is working on it. Great post you really did run with it like Miz said. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and how you continue to focus on changing that by being positice.

Carly said...

Awesome post! I can totally relate. I worry about everything and then I usually accomplish nothing.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

Wonder what a “worrywart” is and if you truly are one?

The job of worry is to anticipate danger before it arises and identify possible perils, to come up with ways to lessen the risks, and to rehearse what you plan to do. Worrywarts get stuck in identifying danger as they immerse themselves in the dread associated with the threat, which may be real or, more likely, imagined. They spin out an endless loop of melodrama, blowing everything out of proportion. "What if I have a heart attack?" "What if there is an earthquake?" "What if someone breaks in when I'm asleep?"
While worrywarts insist worrying is helpful, little is solved. Stuck in thinking ruts, they stop living in the here and now--the present moment. Worrywarting is torment--a kind of self-imposed purgatory that makes you feel bad, stresses you out, and wastes precious moments of your life.
Worse yet, worry begets more worry, setting into motion a vicious circle of frightening thoughts and anxious response. It is self-perpetuating, pushing into greater anxiety and more worry. Allowed to continue unchecked, chronic worry can evolve into panic attacks and, in extreme cases, agoraphobia, which is a paralyzing fear of having a panic attack, especially in public. It can be so severe that, in the worst cases, the sufferer can't leave home. Sometimes panic attacks can be so extreme that the worry-victim thinks he or she is having a heat attack and is rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.

Trying to stop worry is usually futile. Instead, we need to become “smart worriers”. Smart worriers do the work of worry and then they soothe themselves to get back to balance. Smart worriers designating a time and place to worry in order to contain it. After the worry session they employ one of the below techniques to back to balance.

I’ve identified 21 ways to soothe yourself and worry smart.

1. Evaluate the cost of the worry
2. Take a deep breath
3. Relax your muscles.
4. Distract yourself.
5. Take a walk.
6. Smile and laugh.
7. Say a little prayer.
8. Find the joy.
9. Avoid caffeine.
10. Shoulds to preferences.
11. Count worry beads.
12. Eat a sweet.
13. Take a warm bath.
14. Imagine a happy ending.
15. Do a good deed.
16. Joke about the worry.
17. Rock yourself.
18. Count your blessings.
19. Make a list.
20. Practice under-reacting.
21. Watch a funny movie.

For more information about smart worry and other self-management techniques, visit my site.

Nicole said...

thanks for the advice! whats this widget you speak of with nike+? i never knew a thing about it!

i get the runners world magazine each month, must be i skipped a few pages and missed that article. i'll have to find my magazine and check it out! thanks for the link tho!

Tammy said...

Wow. I think MizFit must be reading The Secret.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
I am lucky in that I am NOT a worrier. I have always been the eternal optimist. I lost my job several years ago, very abruptly. That very night, I was smiling and hopeful because I knew that there was something better for me.

And, I was right. It took me 9 months of being unemployed to find it, but I now have the perfect job, for 5+ years.

Nicole said...

when i search for the goal widget nothing shows up but the run one that i have. even the run one i have never works and i always end up taking it off cuz it says there is an error! :(

RooBabs said...

Nicole- How weird that we both have the vacuuming curtains issue? That's too bad about worry affecting your running. Isn't it terrible how we sabotage ourselves like that? I'm glad you're back on track with running. And don't ever worry about being the rambling commenter (coming from the ultimate rambler herself, LOL).

N.D.- I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully the tips will help. I know for me, it's definitely a work in progress.

MizFit- Thank you, and you're welcome. Always happy to sharebare. = )

Viv- Thanks. Definitely trying to keep things positive, because it makes such a difference.

Carly- I know, isn't crazy that it serves the exact opposite purpose of what we intended!

Dr. Potter- Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight. I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said, and I love the 21 tips. I find myself doing many of those things to try and get rid of my worrying.

Tammy- Wow! I can't believe that you're not a worrier (those people exist?) But that's great. And good for you for recognizing the opportunity in your situation. I think if more people could do that, there would be so much less stress and unhappiness in the world.

Cyndi said...

This is a great discussion! I think everyone worries to some degree, and of course when it starts to impact physical and mental health - action has to be taken.

Reading your post makes me think of my youngest daughter Grace. She's only 9, but she is already a chronic worry-wart. She is my Nervous Nelly. She worries about the mundane to the important. She worries about people's feelings, she worries about the first day of school, she worries about fire drills, thunderstorms, getting lost while driving somewhere....

She makes herself sick at times - even triggers stomach migraines. I tell my husband all the time that her wedding day is going to be a disaster for her if she doesn't 'grow out' of this! She was so excited / nervous on her first day of attending a brand new school in third grade, she had a major bout of diahrrea 2 minutes before we walked out the door!

Others may wave off her worries and 'tease' her about it, but reading your story only assures me that I should stay on top of this with her, and help her find ways to overcome this. I've already seen her worries affect her physical health.

She seems to be better as time goes on, and I think mostly because we work on developing her self esteem. You are so right that it takes achieving success and independence, and coming through the challenges completely 'intact' - stronger for the next challenge.

You have come so far, thanks for sharing this. Now I know this is not something to gloss over with my little Grace - it deserves attention now!