Monday, September 22, 2008

Laying the Smack Down!

I want to get in a quick post for today, since it has been forever since I've written (but yet it doesn't seem like that long). Thank you, thank you for all of your comments about the Ab Challenge, and a big Thank You to those that were brave enough to participate with me. I think that overall, it was a successful endeavor.

I will do a better update about the weekend when I get a chance to upload the pictures off the camera. I will just say that it was stressful, fun, crazy, and football-filled. And, all of our teams won their games- the Utes and Cougars are both 4-0 on the season (go Utah!!), and the Vikings finally won, Yippee!!!.

Okay, the reason for my title above is because I have decided to crack down on my food journal (yes, again). My weight has been creeping back up a bit, and I know it's because I haven't been as careful with my eating (it's not from a bun in the oven, just in case you were wondering). I made a half-hearted attempt to try and get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, but since I wasn't really keeping track anywhere it kind of fizzled out. Plus, my water drinking has been sort of down the tubes. If I see that written documentation that I've drank a certain amount, I'm more motivated to keep it up. In my Discovery Health Food Journal, I would check off the little water glasses, but I decided to start using a regular spiral notebook, so I just make check marks for each 8 oz that I drink.

Starting today, and for the next 30 days, I am committing to tracking what I eat in my food journal (and on Fitday.com). I will make sure to get in my 72+ ounces of water a day, and I will shoot for 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables. I won't be posting what I eat every day, because I'm sure it would bore you to tears. Instead, I'll just sporadically mention stuff the way that I have in the past. This won't be too difficult for me during the week, once I get back into the habit. However, the weekends are where I always fall off in terms of tracking. And that's always where I need the most accountability, too. So there you have it.

I don't expect to make my goal weight (124) before getting pregnant, but I would like to make a little more headway. But mainly I just want to build better habits so that I don't gain too much weight when I do get pregnant. I definitely think continuing my ab work will benefit me during pregnancy. This morning I did a quick set of crunches. I thought about running, but changed my mind because I've had a lot of pain in my calf ever since my last race. It's okay most of the time, but is tender after I run and in the mornings, too- it's in a weird spot, the very top part of my calf muscle and behind my knee. So I think I'll let it rest a bit more and work on stretching it out. I almost did an elliptical workout instead, but I figured that might aggravate it, too. Plus that extra sleep felt really good.

Today so far, I'm doing okay on my food, but much better on my water. I've downed 56 oz, and will make sure to get at least 16 more later tonight. I've only had about 2 servings of fruits and veggies (applesauce, grapes, and some carrots and celery), but dinner is leftovers from last night, which is roasted chicken, potatoes, mushrooms, red peppers and zucchini, so that will be about 2 more, and I'll add a salad to get number 5. Eventually I hope to increase my F&V goal, because 5 is the bare minimum, but I figured it was a good place to start (gotta make those goals SMART, right?). Tomorrow I'll probably try to get in a decent run of 3-4 miles, and see how my calf feels. I want to try a long run this Saturday, maybe 7 or 8 miles, so hopefully it will feel better soon.

Did everyone have a good weekend, and are you loving the fall weather? This morning it was pouring rain, and it's only 64 degrees, but it's mid-70's tomorrow, then back to the 80's. And I love the leaves changing colors. Maybe I'll take a picture of the mountains right behind my house and post it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea on taking it easy on the running with the knee pain. Behind the knee is hard understand but something in there is not happy.

Tracking your food is a great idea. It makes you think twice before putting something in your mouth, sometimes. :-) I track everything that I eat and drink...some days I am amazed at what I consume.

Keep us posted on the progress and have a good week!

Nicole said...

Keep a watchful eye on that knee! My groin is still giving me fits. I've even been running at the same time every day this week! WHY? :)

Tracking your food is an awesome plan. I would love to try and do that, however, i eat TERRIBLE. Maybe writing it down would help eat better? Dont get me wrong, i dont eat mcdonalds every day but i do love a meal from Wendys. I'm a college kid so i'm never home to eat well and when i am home, my time isnt spent eating!
:)

carla said...

For as long as I've been gone from the east coast (11 years?) I still miss the fall.

Every year.

(Read: bring on the photos)

And I just opened the attachment sent by this thursdays guest post'er.

*I* disagree.

You agree.

Please to stop by on thurs & tell me how wrong I am ;)

Have a good busy tuesday.

MizFit

Robin said...

Girl, me too. My weight has been creeping and I am back to food journaling. (and weighing) I tried to give up the scale, but that was a bad move for me.

Cyndi said...

I had to suck it up too and go back to journaling my food - I've been stuck on the scale mostly because I'm eating for maintenance instead of to lose. I just hate journaling because it makes me feel 'obsessed' with food, and I'd much rather 'obsess' over something cool.... like running. ;-)

That said, I know it needs to be done, at least for a time, so I can get back in the swing of eating the right portions and the required nutritional pieces/parts.

I've said on my blog over and over 'I KNOW how to eat, I don't need to journal' so now I've pulled out the journal with my tail between my legs ha ha...

Lance said...

The Vikings! They are our arch-rival over here in Wisconsin. Go Packers!!!

Tracking food always seems to really show me what I'm eating - there's stuff I just don't think about unless I do a journal. Good luck with it!

Tammy said...

A lot of people I know have had the creeping weight problem lately. Must be the time of the year!

I'm right there with ya - cracking down!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yeah, go Vikes!!

Take it easy on that knee...

RooBabs said...

Shosh- Definitely makes me think twice. Thanks!

Nicole- Sorry about the groin. Sometimes injuries are hard to understand, and that's when our patience is tested. I know it's tough to write things down when you're busy with school and everything, but if you tried it, you might find that it's really an eye-opener. You could get a small notebook that fits in a purse and jot things down as you eat them to see how it goes.

Carla- How sad not to have fall. Really? The ATX doesn't have changing leaves? Huh. I will definitely post pictures. And you know I'll be by on Thursday to read, and I'll make sure to comment.

Robin- I wish I could give up the scale, but I'm hard-pressed to weigh only once a week. Plus, if that number goes up, it's a warning to evaluate what I'm doing and to get back on track.

Cyndi- I know what you mean about the obsession. I tend to get obsessed with things (and to be very "all or none"), so it can be tricky, but when I think about what a difference it makes, it's worth the effort. Too funny about the "tail between your legs" LOL. = )

Lance- But we can still be friends, right? Ha ha. Plus, don't tell the Hubs, but I kinda like the Packers (just not when they're playing the Vikes- then the claws come out). I was actually hoping they would make it to the SuperBowl last year (stupid Giants). Anyway, it's so easy to "pretend" that I didn't eat something if it's not written down.

Tammy- If it's the time of year, then I'm really scared, because we're mostly still having summer weather here. I think it's just because I let myself get complacent. But glad to know I'm not in it alone. Good luck to you!

Steve- Thanks, and I will. Don't want to screw anything up now that I have the IT band issue figured out.